debug mode direct draw ctrl- alt -delete

Started by
5 comments, last by atcdevil 20 years, 2 months ago
Hello, need some advice, I have a fullscreen dd7 app that often crashes. When running in debug mode this is a problem because it doesn''t close the app like it does when it''s not debugging. But the non debugging version doesn''t tell me where I get access violations, and if I have memory leaks, so I need to run in debug mode sometimes. When the program crashes the screen goes black and the only thing I can do is hit ctrl-alt-delete which brings up the task manager which I can''t see, so it does me no good . So usually I have to hit the power button (which I don''t want to do) So I''ve tried the following- When I used to use win98 just hitting ctrl-alt delete and hitting enter until it closed I used to use windows key - L (in xp) to make the screen not black and then ctrl-alt delete to close the app but that hasn''t been working I''m in xp professional and ms visual studio.net by the way. Are there any other ways of closing the app I don''t know about? Is there any way to make task manager not hide itself when I hit enter and close programs instead?? BTW - I''d do a search cause I know I''ve seen similar posts before.... But I can''t Thanks - Andrew
Advertisement
Well, you could always try killing it from the command prompt ...
Win-R
taskkill /im filename.exe

I''m not sure what kind of interactions this has with regards to DirectDraw, but it works well enough for killing normal processes.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I''ve had the same problem as atcdevil. Just the other day I was running my D3D app in debug mode and it crashed. Task manager is not the only program that will not appear--no apps besides the DX app will appear on the screen. I too was forced to reboot. It was a good thing that I just backed up my code, as rebooting while a program is being debugged (after crashing) can easily corrupt your source files.

I haven''t found a good way to prevent this, other than to be very careful about backing up my code. I''m running WinXP and MSVC++ 6.0.

-Mike
Alright, I started this thread a few months ago, in case anyone happens upon it, I found another method that helps me sometimes.

On my labtop the power key is set to make the computer go to standby. Now if I just hit that it doesn''t do anything, but if I hit ctrl-alt-delete then the power key it goes into standby and then I can come out of it, log back in and the crashed app does not have control anymore so I can close it.

I also sometimes try hitting ctrl-alt-delete and randomly clicking trying to hit end task, thats worked a few times...

- Andrew
Yes I''m talking to myself, but I found an even better method.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Tab then selects "End Task"

Hit spacebar.

If your program does not close, hit the left arrow key, then enter.

- Andrew
Well, the way that I get around this is by using a 2nd monitor. Just pick up a cheap PCI graphics card (or borrow one from a friend), and a borrowed monitor (people seem to give away old small monitors fairly often, sometimes big corps will have "junk sales" that they sell things that have minor issues for cheap, I picked up a 17" monitor with a slightly skewed display tube for < $100). Just stick your compiler on the other monitor, and when the proggy crashes, you can move your mouse onto the other monitor and manipulate your code/etc... Very useful for debugging, as it allows you to set breakpoints.
___________________~Analazon
im havin alit of troulble with my ctrl alt delete.i hit the keys and the screen pops up and i dont know what to do because i dont have the menu with tabs all thats there is the programs and im in the end process thing and i also cant get out of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement