X File Viewer Project For Sale

Started by
3 comments, last by WilNaDon 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi folks! I have recently completed a high-powered Direct3D 8.1b application that runs in a windows desktop window and on any MS-Windows platform (that supports D3D8, of coarse). It is a .X file viewer. The project name is simply D3D X-File Viewer version 1.0. The project is completed. I have a few people testing it right now with very few bugs on all their systems. What the program does is allow you to view your game world and 3D game objects in a Direct3D 8 application so you can see exactly what these game objects are going to look like in the actual game. This gives programmers a big advantage because they can now view their 3D models such as objects...and even full 3d levels without needing the use of a fully developed game engine at their disposal. The project currently views Microsoft''s .X file format. X-files are wildly popular among game programmers because X-file tools and functionality are programmed into the DirectX SDK so you don''t have to write your own file formats from scratch, simply use .X files! They are really easy to use, and all major 3D modeling packages have converters available out there which allow you to convert your 3D creations to .X files quickly and easily. In fact, converters can be downloaded from the Microsoft website free of charge for 3ds max, maya, lightwave, etc. I currently use 3ds max 4.2 for all my 3d models and use the utility program that I downloaded from Microsoft, called conv3ds.exe, to convert all of my scenes to .X files. They can instantly be viewed using the D3D X-File Viewer. The D3D X-File Viewer doesn''t just allow you to view .X files...it does WAY, WAY more. You can: 1.) Reposition your camera anywhere in the 3D world 2.) Change, repositon the camera target to any place in the 3D world 3.) Lock / Unlock the camera target. Locking allows you to move the camera anywhere and still it will be focused on the coordinates that you set it on. 4.) Rotation along the X, Y, Z axis'' using simple key strokes 5.) The camera can move forward, backwards, left, right, up and down using keystrokes and can be moved at variable speeds, depending upon what the user wants. 6.) Scene depth can be changed to whatever value you please 7.) FOG! Yes that''s right, FOG can be toggled on or off to give you an idea of how it will fit into your game scheme! Not only that, but the fog is completely controllable. You can change it''s color (by manipulating the RGB values to your liking), changing the starting point at which fog is first noticable, and the ending point at which objects disappear into the fog. Cool huh? 8.) You can also change the background color of the 3D scene to whatever you want by simply changing the RGB value of the background. 9.) And the best part is all of the above features can be accomplished at run-time, and are NOT preset options...none of that stuff. This application is very useful to me and the few people that I have allowed to use it. Well, I would like to see the project distributed and in the hands of as many people as possible. If you are interested in either distributing the project, or simply buying the entire project from me outright along with all the rights, please contact me at wilnadon@yahoo.com. Any other details that you may need, including screenshots, can be given to you upon request. Thank you for your time! William N. Donaldson DSC wilnadon@yahoo.com
Advertisement
Man... no offence but 80% of the code for that is included in the directX SDK, I could put that together in about 1/2 an hour, as could anyone working on 3D engine...
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
I''ll be nice and refrain from commenting.

---------------------------------------------
"Love is a disease"
you could knock that up with darkbasic
you know, dxsdk includes a meshviewer that supports:

- loading of simple, progressive, and skinned meshes;
- saving meshes;
- viewing wireframe, edges, creases, strips, normals, and other stuff;
- viewing x file hierarchy;
- optimizing, weilding, splitting, collapsing meshes, and more;
- selecting individual faces and vertices;
- converting meshes to progressive meshes, and setting lod on them;
- some stuff relevant to npatches, unfortunately they are not supported by gf3 so i don''t know what exactly.

check it out for free at dxsdk\bin\mview.exe!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement