• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectDraw after-effects

This topic is 6605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now, someone said recently that if you do all the deallocation of DirectDraw objects right, then Visual Studio will never be the wrong size when you quit your fullscreen DirectDraw app. However, I made a very basic program, that did pretty much nothing except set up DirectDraw with a primary and back buffer, and then released them all, and yet I still get this problem. And it keeps moving my ICQ window to the top middle of the screen which is most annoying Anyone able to shed any further light on this?

Advertisement
Yep I agreee, most annoying, yet seemingly incurable!!

The closest I''ve seen to a solution, is not to use DevStudio maximised. Leave it as a floating window and stretch it over the full screen...

Cheers

Matt

Check out my project at: www.btinternet.com/~Matthew.Bennett

Hi

The Problem also occurs when normal Resolution Changes occur. It is always when i wan''t an higher Desktop Resolution, all maximized Windows resize the correct way, but when reducing the Resolution, again, the Window goes outside the Desktop, until i unmaximize it.
It looks like, it is an pure Windows Problem,maybe it forgets to send an WM_SIZE Messsage, when restoring resolution.

Lars

Yup, I''ve had variations of this problem since DX3 under Windows 95.

Still have it with Windows 2000/DX7.

Hoped Microsoft would have fixed it by now, but no luck.

Oh well, at least Windows 2000 is 1000% more stable of a development enviornment than previous versions..Especially when running and debugging full screen DX apps.

Did i undestand that right ?

your DirectX applications work under Windows 2000 !
HOW ????

Or do you only use DirectDraw without Direct3D ?

Lars

Have you tried calling IDirectDraw7::RestoreDisplayMode?

According to the documentation it "resets the mode of the display device hardware for the primary surface to what it was before the IDirectDraw7::SetDisplayMode was called. Exclusive-level access is required to use this method.

mhanna@nyc.rr.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!