Good List of Console Games To Begin With?

Started by
4 comments, last by flypp3r 21 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I been here for about 2 weeks now. Generally a nice board and really helpful. Does anyone have a list or anything of good example games or game ideas that a beginner can make to help grasp "game programming" or something? Basically I want like a list of different games I can make (small or large) to help me see how much I know, and what I need to improve on with the concepts of basic console C++ and game programming at the same time. how about this- much easier/briefer question: what are the possible type of games to make in a console BESIDES good ole'' rpg''s? btw- the only thing I dont like about this baord is the amazingly large ego that some people have when helping others. Some people may be very warm, and welcoming to helping out beginners, but there may be sometimes someone who feels that he has to help out newbies, but at the same time insult the crap out of them. Just so you know, insulting the "newb" and making him feel like a complete and total idiot is not gunna help the problem, but in fact may bring about more questions. Tip: when helping out- help, dont insult. "Constructive insults" if you must :-\. But yea, thats the only thing I feel this board has a problem with. (posted that on here as to not create another thread. not trying to start anything, just posting a concern I had). thanks!
Advertisement
Excellant question!

May I suggest looking into the following:

• Nim (Google it, great)
  • Tic-Tac-Toe (etc etc)
  • Maze games are quite doable in console mode, and very often the techniques you work out apply to graphical games later, right up to 3D stuff
  • Even parallax scrollers like ski slalom games etc...

A really good source of ideas for these can come from old "Games For Your ZX81/BBC Micro/Commodore PET/etc etc" type books, as I discovered when clearing out a really old bookshelf recently; full of listings for old text-mode games that the logic can easily be extracted from. They can be had for pennies at 2nd hand book shops.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life

[edited by - IainC on October 16, 2002 8:29:47 AM]
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
heh sounds good.
how about more basic stuff. im afrad im not even that advanced yet

how about tic tac to? what does that consist of?
Tic-Tac-Toe, aka Noughts and Crosses, aka 3-in-a-row.

I posted complete source for a simple version in this thread to help out SSJCORY.

Try picking a simple real-world game, like scissors-paper-stone, and start by asking some questions.

- How can I represent the game''s current state?
- How do we know when someone has won?
- What is the order of play?

Look at the game from as many angles as possible to get a feel for the "problem domain" - the language of the game and the context of the elements within it.

For scissors-paper-stone for example the order of play is as follows:
- Each player must choose either scissors, paper or stone without knowing what the other has chosen
- Each player''s choice is then compared to see who has won

We know who has won by applying these rules:
- Rock blunts scissors
- Paper wraps rock
- Scissors cut paper
- Two of the same object are a draw

We can store the current state of the game with two variables:
- Player 1''s choice
- Player 2''s choice

From this, let''s write the in game in pseudocode.

Setup variables playerChoice and computerChoice.
|
V
Set computerChoice to be a random number between 1 and 3.
|
V
Show message to user: "1=Scissors, 2=Rock, 3=Stone; Choose a number..."
|
V
Let user input a number into playerChoice
|
V
Check it''s between 1 and 3
|
V
Tell player computer''s choice (ie if computerChoice=1 print "Computer choose Scissors" etc)
|
V
Now go through the win states to find winner (ie if playerChoice=1 and computerChoice = 2 print "Scissors cut paper - player wins!} etc
|
V
If objects are the same print "Draw"

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you were after, but hope it helps... translating a real-world game into a program design is the hard part, after that you''re just replacing your deductions with code.

I personally think it''s a great way to begin games programming.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
Tetris would be doable in console mode; If you haven''t been over to gametutorials.com yet, I would HIGHLY recommend going over there and looking at there console tutes; you can do alot of crap in a console window.

Also for someone just starting out, I HIGHLY recommend Allegro, Its Keen! (Allegro is a graphics, sound, input wrapper for Directx on windows and ports for Linux and Mac are available, although the Mac is about OS 8) No Joke, with about 5 function calls your ready to load and display images on screen.
I second the recommendation to allegro Very useful for learning

Maybe look at this after you have done tic tac toe

Check out allegro.cc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement