expert in Maya, help me! 2d photo to 3d model

Started by
3 comments, last by vern 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I wonder which technique that can be good to use if I have a photograph of a wall with a hieroglyphics-carving on and would like to transfer it to a 3d surface. I have tried to draw the outline with a pen in Photoshop with one graylevel and fill with another to get different dephts and then used the image in the sculpt surfaces tool in Maya, but the result is far from realistic. Has anyone tried to do the same thing and how? Is there any other suggestions of which method to use if I would like to make 3d carvings and I only have the photograph as input??? /vern
Advertisement
Wrong forum to post in, go to the ''Visual Arts'' under ''The Creative Side'' portion for help in the different programs. This forum is for freelancers, volunteers, or teams looking for people to help in the project.
Hi,

if you want to do it with sculpt surfaces, you will need a very high tesselated surface. You could try to do that with a poly surface and the split polygon tool, or you could try it with curves. But it''s hard to imagine what the most efficient method is, it would be better if you post an image of what you want to do.
ok...

click on the maya icon.

drag it to the trash...

and buy 3DMAX

hehehehehehehehhehehehehehehhe
Have you tried just turning the photograph into greyscale in photoshop, and then in Maya, have a very high tesselated plane, and just apply the greyscale photograph as height/depth map.

If that didn''t work as you like, Just trace the contours using Nurbs, than put surface on it and do some Boolean operation of that with some high tesselated plane. To trace that photograph, just create a plane and apply the photograph as texture, and trace away in one of your ortho view.

Hope that helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement