Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARS_999

Poll (On which language people here are using?)

I am wondering what is the most used language by all people at gamedev.net? I am using C++. Just trying to get an idea what ratio of people are using C vs C++ and then compare that to other languages e.g. Java, VB, Pascal. Thanks all.

quote:
Original post by MARS_999
I am wondering what is the most used language by all people at gamedev.net? I am using C++. Just trying to get an idea what ratio of people are using C vs C++ and then compare that to other languages e.g. Java, VB, Pascal. Thanks all.

I use Delphi 4 with JEDI DirectX 8.1 units.

I use C++.
Not because I think it''s better (I don''t think it is), but because I am better at it because I know it more and I like it very much. I could pretty much achieve the same thing with other languages, but I wouldn''t be as happy as am I using C++.

----------------
Blaster
Computer game programmer and part time human being
Strategy First - http://www.strategyfirst.com
BlasterSoft - http://www.blastersoft.com

Java was my first real language, I love it and use it constantly to this day. C++, of course, is wonderful as well. I also like Python a lot.

Pick a mainstream language and I probably use it at least once a month.

For most of my personal stuff I used Delphi 5 Pro, its an excellent IDE and RAD environment, and has extremely clean syntax.

E-mail Gaiiden (Drew Sikora) and suggest this as a poll. You''ll get a more complete picture of GameDev members'' programming language choices with a front-page poll than a thread in General Programming can provide. Besides, he''s looking for poll topics.

I''d suggest breaking into categories:
Compiled multi-paradigm/OO (C++)
Compiled/interpreted OO (Java, Ruby, etc)
Compiled procedural
Interpreted procedural
Other (graphical, etc)

I mostly use C++, but dabble in a host of other languages for a variety of programming tasks. No, I don''t make games.

C++
my first 3 years of programming i worked with turbo pascal, delphi and visual basic. But once i began learning C++ i really liked it. I''m now using it almost exclusively.

Runicsoft -- home of my open source Function Parser and more

I mainly use C++, although a lot of my simple programs can be written in plain C. Sometimes I use Python for small things. Lately I''ve been learning C#, and have been very pleasantly surprised by Visual Studio.NET.

Java - if you don''t mind taking the performance hit it''s a nice language to implement a complex design in.

I write Java every once in a while (at a part time job) and C++ otherwise.

Why I like Java:
-easy to make bug-free and ''neat-looking'' code with it
-easy to debug
-it has a great GUI library
-fast to write applications and applets
-there are some awesome IDEs for Java development. Automated refactoring == goodness

Why I like C++:
-it has more expression power than Java
-it produces faster code than Java

If speed was no issue, I''d probably write everything in Java though.

I''ve also written some stuff with Basic, Scheme and Pascal. Scheme is pretty cool, but I dislike the other two. And I wouldn''t write any ''real'' stuff with Scheme (although I did make a space invaders clone with it, because it was a school assignment )

C++ with SDL and my custom game library. 2D rulez baby!

And I''ll keep this in mind as a poll idea. I did something like this a few weeks ago here

c/c++: for the last five years
java - don''t use it but have learned enough to comprehend code
ruby - learning - right now!
perl - only for complicated text replacements (c;

i have to use c++ for work so i concentrate on being the best c++ programmer i can. i like c++ and think it''s a very mature language which is practical, adaptable, efficient and, at times, extremely elegant. i enjoy other languages too.

Java and shell-scripts daily.
Perl and C/C++ a few times a week.
Lisp once in a while, mostly as "mind-clearing" excercises.
Prolog once every blue moon, when I''m feeling masochistic.
XSLT almost daily (allright, not really a programming language in and of itself, but you can do lots of fun stuff with it).
SQL almost daily.
javascript quite often (mostly for doing DOM transformations and such on XHTML).

As you might gather I''m more of a "right tool for the right job" person than " rules, and everything else sucks". Typically I''ll reach for Java unless there are speed-concerns (in which case I''ll opt for C/C++), or the program needs to do interesting stuff with text and/or pattern-matching (yay perl!), or it''s straightforward *nix system-stuff, in which case I tend to choose shell.

Oh, and I almost forgot (probably because it''s almost embarrasing to admit), once in a while I do VB (and *groan* VBA) as well.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GED d- s:+ a- C++$ UL++ P++ L++ E W+ N+ o K? w !O M--(+) V-- PS+
PE Y+ PGP t-- 5++ X+ R(+) rv+(++) b+++ DI+ D(+) G e+>++ h r--> y+
----- END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
geekcode.com