• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazy166

Portals and octrees

This topic is 6694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

any ideas on how to use both portals and an octree scene graph to reduce polys? right now, i think my engine might be slow because i''m drawing every poly in the world and letting d3d determine if onscreen or offscreen. what do ya think? (that was sarcastic, btw). so i decided to use an octree-type algo (or more likely, quadtree, since you won''t move in y dir at all, or change camera pitch) to eliminate polys. since some action is "indoor" and some "outdoor", my question is: what are some ways that people combine portals with quadtrees? i''m familiar with portals, and i think the best way is to determine if a quadtree bbox is visible through the portal. does that seem like a logical solution? is it the only solution? thanks, crazy166 some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

Advertisement
That''s basically the approach I''m using for my engine. I use sectors and portals like normal, but each sector is actually an octree. While this would also work for outdoor scenes, there are more efficient ways of storing and rendering terrain, so I use a different rendering process for that.

Wraith
BasketQase Software

well, my "outdoor" scenes are typical of games like donkey kong 64 or mario 64 (minus vertical travel), they really aren''t terrain as such. but still, would there be something better suited to this type of outdoor scene?

thanks again,

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

Hi,
We are a making an egnine combining Protals, BSP-Trees and a Roaming terrain Engine. We will make visibility determination using the portals. The Portals (defined as a polygon) will make the viewing frustum smaller, by creating additional frustum planes defined by the view point and the points of the polygon.

You can email me for additional questions.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!