Wich language should I learn to make 3D games

Started by
14 comments, last by andrefreemind 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by andrefreemind
Thanks everyone.
I''m sorry about asking this question again, but I''ve got to be sure what languange to learn.
One last thing:
C and C++, opengl and directx are not for free, are they?

Thanks again

DirectX and OpenGL are both free. C and C++ are both languages, for which there are hundreds of compilers. Some of those compilers (like Dev C++) are free. Some of them cost money.
Advertisement
3D isn''t associated with any particular programming language(s) (unless you count OpenGL as a language ). Heck, 3d renderers could be written in &#106avascript.

You might want to take a look at DarkBASIC. They just released a new version, and the stuff that people have been doing with it look pretty sweet. You must bear in mind that there are many, many ''variations'' on BASIC, and not all of them are as linear as each other.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

3D renderers have been written in &#106avascript<br><a href="http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp topic_id=111812">Clicky</a>
quote:Original post by Sie Pao Ling
and never touch any assembly when you want to make a high end 3D game - wanna spend years just to render a transparent cube box
I can code in assembly just as fast as I can in C++

Sup guys?
I pick C++. you need those OOP thingies for a real 3D game, trust me. you can use other OOP languages as well, but i''ll stick with C++. It''s widely used by game industry, so why not use it? I think there''s a reason why they (professionals) pick C++, not Java or other OOP languages.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
No one tells you the right language to learn!? This is an outrage, learn C++ (and I mean learn!) then get stuck into an API like DirectX (you will need this to compete in the games market in the future). You will need to learn Windows Programming in C++ before learning DirectX.

*note* If your not prepared to buy any books I don''t think you''ll get very far. Also stick to one programming language in the beginning, learn others after you are fairly confident in C/C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement