Wich language should I learn to make 3D games

Started by
14 comments, last by andrefreemind 21 years, 6 months ago
I''m getting bored with this!!!! I´ve searched for months and nobody tells me what the right language to learn. I want make a real 3d game and it doesn''t matter if the language is hard to learn. I make cool 3d models and I want to see them in the screen and could interact with them. Basics are too linears.c++ is passed. So please tell me the languages that professionals use to make 3d games and the place to get them. Thanks >Free-Your-Mind<
Advertisement
C/C++ with DirectX or openGl

[edited by - on December 25, 2002 11:41:33 PM]
C++ and the DirectX SDK sounds like a good call to me.

You can use OpenGL or Direct3D for the graphics portion (your choice), and the other components in DirectX for sound, input and network.

The DirectX 8.1 SDK is obtainable from Microsoft.

I personally use MS Visual C++ 6.0 for development. (Although I''m not a professional). It includes OpenGL 1.1.

But there are shortcuts, too. Some existing engines or graphics tools could import your models readily and render them for you. But I don''t have knowledge to suggest anything there, sorry.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
C++ is passed?
you''ve searched for months?
if you have actually been searching you''ll find that by far c++ is the professional standard.
For good professional 3D games you''re going to want an API under your belt to. Probably either DirectX or OpenGL. The choice is up to you on that one.

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
Stop rambing on about API''s to him. Learn a language first before you tackle any API''s.

That said, I''d suggest Java or C# as a newbie language. Easy to learn and pretty well structured. Then after that I''d venture off into the land of C++, and from there pick up on any other languages you may be interested in. A lot of people start out on C++, and theres absolutley nothing wrong with that. My advice: just pick one of the three afforementioned, and DONT WORRY ABOUT MAKING ANY 3D GAMES YET. You wont for a while. It''ll take you some time to learn the language, then learn how to use it to make games, then learn how to create 2 dimensional games... it''ll take a few years until you''re ready to venture off into 3D programming. Take your time.
Why learn C# or Java? Neither language is usually used to make 3D games. I don''t think that either is much easier than C++. If the original poster''s goal is to make a 3D game, then C++ and DirectX/OpenGL is the obvious way to go.

andrefreemind, why are you asking this question again? It was answered before in your other post.
I reiterate once more, HE CANNOT EVEN PROGRAM, DO NOT MENTION DIRECTX OR OPENGL YET! Christ...

Just pick a language and learn it, and to the second to last poster, read my entire post before you respond.
quote:Original post by Johnny_W
I reiterate once more, HE CANNOT EVEN PROGRAM, DO NOT MENTION DIRECTX OR OPENGL YET! Christ...

Why? Perhaps you should read the question. He wants to know what is used to make a 3D game. First you tell him that, then you tell him the route to take to get there.

Whoever told you C++ was passed is ignorant of the industry. C and C++ are the standard used in the game industry.

So to answer your question, you need a good modeling package, which sounds like you already have. Next you should use C or C++, you can learn both, but I would start with C++. Finally you need a 3D API, like OpenGL or DirectX. Here you should learn both. It is difficult to choose which one to start with though, because half say OpenGL is easier and the other half say DirectX is easier. You will have to choose for yourself.

Now that you know what you need, you should know where to start. First learn the language. You don''t have to master it, but you should be able to understand some of the more complicated parts of it. The amount of time you spend, will dictate how long it will take you to learn it. Next you can move on to making simple games. Start with Tic Tac Toe, then Tetris, the something like Mario Bros. Start simple and get more complicated each time, until you work your way up to your 3D game.

If you spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, you could get to the basics of 3D game making in a year.

Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Well, you should try C first then C++ (don''t try study Java, it''s to SlooOOOww, believe me! and never touch any assembly when you want to make a high end 3D game - wanna spend years just to render a transparent cube box?). Buy some books, or search the internet ( but, don''t get the reference book if you''re really a newbie on programming field ).Get Software Engineering book if you wanna have a good programming design and Artifical Intelligence book to sharp your skill on building intelligent agents for your game. If you feel you''ve got enough understanding then move on to OpenGL. Get the infamous "Red Book" and study some examples on Nehe tutorials (nehe.gamedev.net). Wanna add sound? network support? you can get SDL or look no further, try studying COM/COM+, then you can grasp the DirectX technology easily ( all tutorials are available on this site ).

OK, I think that''s the road map for you to follow.
See you!!

" the heart controls the mind and the mind controls the world "
the heart controls the mind and the mind controls the world
Thanks everyone.
I''m sorry about asking this question again, but I''ve got to be sure what languange to learn.
One last thing:
C and C++, opengl and directx are not for free, are they?

Thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement