neural networking

Started by
2 comments, last by trub 21 years, 6 months ago
Is neural networking applicable to say 3D games? I see were pattern recognition being neat if a bot could detect if you are doing the same thing over and over to win or it can find your weakness (lets say a 3d shooter where you always run up against the walls and it uses a rocket a few times against you). Is the 3D world just to choatic (even in a simulated game environment) for neural networking to actually work? It seems to work wonders for pattern recognition in regular 2d pictures. If not, could there be any use for it in computer games? Thanks! Ryan
mang?
Advertisement
One of the key problems in implementing an ANN in any domain is finding a suitable mapping from the state space of the domain to the input space of the network. As the domain gets more and more complex, so this mapping becomes more and more complex, or, the input space of the network becomes larger and more complex, making it harder to learn effective classifications.

ANNs can be used effectively for the classification of low-dimensional spaces (simple tasks). I have not seen, as yet, an ANN that can handle all of the classifications necessary for a bot acting in a dynamic and complex 3D world.

Cheers,

Timkin
It can be quite easy to use ANNS in a 3D world. It all depends on what you want to do with them. Obstacle avoidance for example, is no more difficult in a 3d world than a 2d one (well, slightly). To see it working (a bot navigating a quake2 map) check out the FEAR project at sourceforge. ANNS can also be successfully applied to bot aiming, hearing, all sorts of stuff.

The important thing when using ANNs is not to be too ambitious. Keep it simple. You''ll get much better results that way.

ai-junkie.com
there was a image of the day quite a while back about a guy who got a quake bot navagating though a level using genetic alogrithms, and NNs. He had a web site, but I don''t remember what it was. You''ll have to dig though all the old IOTDs and find it.
Jesse
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement