Frame Rates

Started by
45 comments, last by owl 21 years, 5 months ago
I''m running on a: Pentium Celleron 466 Mother Soyo 6BA+ 196MB RAM Riva TNT2 64MB When I run a pretty basic Direct3D 8.1 2D program in 640x480x32bit fullscreen I get 60 frames per second. It has a semi-transparent surface occupying half of the screen and a scrolling background behind it. I think it''s a low frame rate, what do you think?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
In fullscreen mode, the frame rates of Direct3D programs are capped at the vertical synch rate of your monitor. This is to prevent funny artifacts from appearing because frames are being generated faster than the monitor can draw (I think). You can raise the frame rate by raising the refresh rate of your monitor. 60 Hz is pretty low, IMHO.
My monitor can do 120hz in 640x480x32bit. How I do to raise the monitor''s refresh rate? Can I set it from direct3d?

In 640x480x16bit the program runs 90+ frames per second.
Set the FullScreen_PresentationInterval in the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS pp;
pp.FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;

Edit:
Theres also a FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz member.

[edited by - Ximmer on October 16, 2002 10:32:23 PM]
Cool, thanks! I did set FullScreen_PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE and now it does 80 FPS in 640x480x32.

FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz has only two posible values:
//d3d8types.h
/* RefreshRate pre-defines */
#define D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT 0x00000000
#define D3DPRESENT_RATE_UNLIMITED 0x7fffffff

When I set it to UNLIMITED the program crashes.

Is there any other tweak I can do before I start optimizing my code?

Wich performance you think my system is capable of in 640x480x32?
Remember that I'm doing alpha with a pretty large texture.

[edited by - xaxa on October 16, 2002 11:47:41 PM]
run it in windowed mode, the refresh rate isnt capped that way...
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
in windowed mode it does 56 fps... I have my desktop in 1152x864x32 at 75hz
I believe it is best to use the following flag:

FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz

and set it to something like 85 hz, or whatever you would like to be set at, and set

FullScreen_PresentationInterval

to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT.

Direct3D does not support D3DPRESENT_RATE_UNLIMITED, thus why your program is crashing.

¬_¬
You can get an app that will turn off the vsync lock for DX and OpenGL. Then you don''t have to do it in your program. I have a full screen OGL app running at 326FPS. The DX version runs at 350FPS

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
I believe it is best to use the following flag:

FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz

and set it to something like 85 hz, or whatever you would like to be set at, and set

FullScreen_PresentationInterval

to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT.

Direct3D does not support D3DPRESENT_RATE_UNLIMITED, thus why your program is crashing.

¬_¬

I tried to set:
FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = 85;
FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT.

But program crashes...

quote:Original post by KalvinB
You can get an app that will turn off the vsync lock for DX and OpenGL. Then you don't have to do it in your program. I have a full screen OGL app running at 326FPS. The DX version runs at 350FPS

HOW I DO THAT???

Here is my messy D3D initialization code:

m_pDirect3D=Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION);if (m_pDirect3D==NULL)  return FALSE;CGameWindow Window;Window.SetWidth(m_dwWidth);Window.SetHeight(m_dwWidth);Window.SetWindowed (m_bWindowed);m_hWnd = Window.Initialize (hInst,WndProc);if (!m_hWnd)  return FALSE;	if (m_bWindowed){  SetWindowPos(m_hWnd, NULL, 0, 0, m_dwWidth, m_dwHeight, SWP_NOZORDER);  SetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_STYLE, WS_POPUP|WS_CAPTION|WS_BORDER|WS_SYSMENU|WS_MINIMIZEBOX);}else{  // Set up main window to cover the screen  SetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_STYLE, WS_POPUP);  SetWindowPos(m_hWnd, NULL, 0, 0, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN), GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN), SWP_NOZORDER);}ShowWindow(m_hWnd, SW_SHOW);	if( FAILED( m_hResult = BuildDeviceList() ) ){  SAFE_RELEASE( m_pDirect3D );  return DisplayErrorMsg( m_hResult, MSGERR_APPMUSTEXIT );}D3DAdapterInfo* pAdapterInfo = &m_Adapters[m_dwAdapter];D3DDeviceInfo*  pDeviceInfo  = &pAdapterInfo->devices[pAdapterInfo->dwCurrentDevice];D3DModeInfo* pModeInfo = NULL;for(DWORD i=0;i<pDeviceInfo->dwNumModes;i++){  if ((pDeviceInfo->modes[i].Width==m_dwWidth)&&(pDeviceInfo->modes[i].Height==m_dwHeight))  {    pModeInfo = &pDeviceInfo->modes[i];    break;  }}if (!pModeInfo)  pModeInfo = &pDeviceInfo->modes[pDeviceInfo->dwCurrentMode];		D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS	presentParameters; // Used to explain to Direct3D how it will present things on the screenmemset(&presentParameters, 0, sizeof(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS)); // We need to fill it with 0's firstif( m_bWindowed )  presentParameters.MultiSampleType    = pDeviceInfo->MultiSampleTypeWindowed;else  presentParameters.MultiSampleType    = pDeviceInfo->MultiSampleTypeFullscreen;if (m_bWindowed) {  presentParameters.BackBufferWidth  = m_dwWidth;  presentParameters.BackBufferHeight = m_dwHeight;  presentParameters.BackBufferFormat = pAdapterInfo->d3ddmDesktop.Format;}else{  presentParameters.BackBufferCount = 1;		  presentParameters.BackBufferWidth  = pModeInfo->Width;  presentParameters.BackBufferHeight = pModeInfo->Height;  presentParameters.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8; //pModeInfo->Format;  if( pDeviceInfo->d3dCaps.PrimitiveMiscCaps & D3DPMISCCAPS_NULLREFERENCE )  {    // Warn user about null ref device that can't render anything    DisplayErrorMsg( D3DAPPERR_NULLREFDEVICE, 0 );  }  presentParameters.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;  presentParameters.FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;}presentParameters.Windowed   = m_bWindowed;presentParameters.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; // Tells Direct3D to present the graphics to the screen the quickest way possible. We don't care if it saves the data after or not. 	  	  m_hResult = m_pDirect3D->CreateDevice( m_dwAdapter, pDeviceInfo->DeviceType, m_hWnd, pModeInfo->dwBehavior, &presentParameters, &m_pDevice );if (FAILED(m_hResult)) // If it failed, return failure  return FALSE;m_pFont = new CFont3D( "Arial", 10, D3DFONT_BOLD );if (FAILED(m_pFont->InitDeviceObjects(m_pDevice)))  return FALSE;// Part three, set the render flags.m_pDevice->SetRenderState ( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE);m_pDevice->SetRenderState ( D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE);m_pDevice->SetRenderState ( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE);// Set diffuse blending for alpha set in vertices.m_pDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE,   TRUE );m_pDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_SRCBLEND,  D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA );m_pDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA );m_pDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP,   D3DTOP_MODULATE);m_pDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);m_pDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);m_pDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP,  D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);	m_pDevice->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );return TRUE;  

[edited by - xaxa on October 16, 2002 12:32:50 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement