Frame Rates

Started by
45 comments, last by owl 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by KalvinB
"typical kalvin.. i''ll just ignore you from now on."

Typical me, telling you you''re wrong when you are and typical you bitching about it. Grow up.

Don''t fight kids. Let''s help us each other

No. Turning off VSync is the only tweak you need before you start optimizing. Upping your refresh rate only increases the max frame rate it will display. It doesn''t fix your problem.

I want to increase the frame rate for those people who don''t have the program you are telling me to use. I don''t want to turn of vsinc, I don''t want to set the refresh rate manually neither.

If you could get it to 150, that''s great but really, unless it drops below 30FPS you''re not going to have anyone complaining.

I guess the other 70 frames depends on optimizing my code, I don''t have a clue about where should I start, but I see I don''t have any other chance but start doing it, thank you.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
By relying on a third party program to tweak your hardware in order to make your game run properly you are extremely limiting your audience. You are not learning anything either.

I personally would not trust someone who has been frowned apon by various forum moderators, not to mention lots of other forum posters.

If your program is not achieving the high frame rates that it should be achieving, then I would suggest looking into your code a little more, instead of ignoring the problem and using a third party program to get the same effect.

¬_¬
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
By relying on a third party program to tweak your hardware in order to make your game run properly you are extremely limiting your audience. You are not learning anything either.

I agree with you. I won''t go to that party

I personally would not trust someone who has been frowned apon by various forum moderators, not to mention lots of other forum posters.

That''s his problem. I always listen everybody, no matter what they did in the past.

If your program is not achieving the high frame rates that it should be achieving, then I would suggest looking into your code a little more, instead of ignoring the problem and using a third party program to get the same effect.

Yap, I guess is the only thing left to do. My app is actually taking 10% of my processor, I guess I should reduce the milliseconds my code takes between every frame. Thanks Fuzz
Glad I helped, though I''m sorry I recommended something that wasn''t safe. I learned something too :D

¬_¬
"I want to increase the frame rate for those people who don't have the program you are telling me to use"

You're perfectly free to distribute NVmax with your project. People who care probably already know about it anyway and it's not worth the risk of damaging their monitor to give them an extra 15FPS.

"I don't want to turn of vsinc, I don't want to set the refresh rate manually neither."

The only alternative then is to give them the option to change the refresh rate of their monitor. They can already do that through windows or the software that came with their video card. It's a pointless feature to add to your own code and could make you liable for damage.

Joe Mass Market doesn't have a clue what a refresh rate is and doesn't care unless the program runs choppy and that doesn't happen until well under 30fps.

In short, there's no reason to worry about Joe User's frame rate due to the refresh rate. Vsync only matters to you because it keeps you from knowing how fast your app really is.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]

[edited by - Jim Adams on October 21, 2002 4:51:06 PM]
Why do you want it faster than 60fps. The eye can''t even see faster than 60fps. Run a program at 60FPS and a program at 90FPS you won''t see a difference what so ever. Leave it at 60FPS and save yourself a head ache
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
The eye can''t even see faster than 60fps

Not remotely true. I wrote a longwinded answer to this in another forum awhile back, but the very short proof is that you can see a definite difference between a CRT running at 60Hz and the same CRT running at 85Hz.

Numbers that people throw around about the eye are typically based on assumptions that are not true with graphics. For film, some people say you can get by with 18Hz, but a film image is very different from a rendered image.

Having said all that, I think this thread has started down a bad path. Don''t confuse "processing" frame rate with visible framerate. If you want to know how many images you are actually seeing, the basic answer is the refresh rate or lower. If you want to know how many frames your card is capable of processing, that number may or may not be higher.

I''m not sure that people are bickering about, but you are not getting 300Hz with or without hacking the vsync. If we are talking about a CRT, the gun moves at the refresh rate. Turning off vsync simply means you can change the data as the gun is moving. It does not mean you see more full frames.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
Why do you want it faster than 60fps. The eye can't even see faster than 60fps. Run a program at 60FPS and a program at 90FPS you won't see a difference what so ever. Leave it at 60FPS and save yourself a head ache

Cause people running on slower systems than mine will go under 60fps.

hehe, take a look at this. This is what CrazedGenius is talking about. I'm following his-the_others advice and making my app time-movement based.

[edited by - xaxa on October 17, 2002 11:42:12 PM]
Hey CrazedGenius, 80fps for my app is quite slow isn''t? There is a screenshot in page 1.
maybe, maybe not... it''s a pretty large texture and a lot of blending for a tnt2. what happens when you draw the background at half size?

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement