• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d game art

This topic is 6484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So what 3D art programs do you lot use, because I have only just got into 3D and haven''t yet found anything decent.

Advertisement
I use blender, which was originally made for linux and is at www.blender.nl and 3D Studio MAX which is my favorite which I got ...from a store.

"When people tell you they want to hear the truth, you know that their lying."

i like trueSpace from caligari. it''s cheaper than most anything and it is fairly powerful, especially the latest version, 4. it is really easy to use as well, so it''s good for beginners.

<(o)>

I use Poser4, Bryce4, Canoma, and Vue2. Poser can really be as good as Character Studio IF you use high-quality textures. Bryce and Vue are great of nature stuff and basic modelling and Canoma handles all man-made models.

Although I''d rather have 3DSMAX, I''d recommend the above products if you don''t have enough $$ or you find it too complex.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Max 2.5 or 3.1

I''m a fan of TrueSpace. It''s has some limitations but only when you reach the outer limits of what can be done. Cheaper price and there''s some good support out there on the web. I also picked up a _cheap_ version TrueSpace 3/SE(Special Edition - some things not in it) There''s a strong forum I hang out at
The Delphi TrueSpaceForum

Even if you choose another 3D modeller check out the delphi: they seem to have monitored stuff.
I have a list on my web-page of some 3D resources. Pretty good if I do say so myself.

ZoomBoy

A 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site

I''ve also recently been learning 3D art/animation. Before I bought my 3D program I searched hundreds of game developers job pages and computer job listings and I found that 3D Studio MAX is by far the most required if a program is listed. There may be several programs, but MAX is nearly always included. I have been very happy with it, and have yet to hear something bad about it. The resources for learning it are immense, with hundreds and hundreds of tutorials, books, plug-ins, and sites. It is more costly than others such as Truespace, but I got the educational version (still full version) for only $1000 including Character Studio and Painter 3D by Metacreations at www.JourneyED.com . You can upgrade it to the retail version for another $2000.

I suck at drawing and all but I use RayDream 3d simply because I got it as a gift. Its fairly easy I think, to design models. I''ve tried Truespace but found it to complex and confusing.

HAHAHA I have noticed something. Whatever 3D package a person learns on they seem to try to stick to no matter what. Perfect Example: TureSpace confusing and complex....hahaha...snort...hehe. TureSpace has to be on e of the easiest and most user freindly packages out there. The only reason I stopped using it and moved onto 3D studio Max is cause Max got a "cleaner" interface.

To the original poster:
It honestly does not matter what package you use, they all do the same things (as far as basic modeling goes). You might have to perform a couple of extra steps per package to get the same effects but, whatever you are trying to do, you can do it. My advice to you is to pick up a cheap package or soemthing free (blender or TrueSpace 2,3 S/E, or what ever). Or if you are a student you can get higher priced packages for CHEAP! Examples : Rhino 99.00, 3D Max 3.0 + Char Studio 800.00, etc....

Good Luck finding something you like.

Job description : Duct Tape

I''m in my last year of high school and also want to get into the games industry as an artist. I just got TrueSpace 1 which has been released for free and I found it a good introduction to 3D modeling. That''s my recomendation.

POV-Ray ( www.povray.org ) is free. Nice pictures, shit to use, but free...

- IO Fission

Tearing 'em apart for no particular reason...

Wild9eR is right on, TrueSpace KICKS ASS for beginers and when you get the skils (and the cash :-( ) 3DS MAX. I started waaaaaay back on a demo, A DEMO!!! of TrueSpace 1. It came on ONE floppy! KICKASS! Then there was Ver. 2 with, BOOLIAN functions! My god I was out of controle!! Union! NO Subtract! NO, INTERSECT BWA-HA HA! sorry, bit caried away.

As Mr Cup alwase says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''

I myself have been learning 3D modeling/animation... and im wondering why no one has even mentiond ... Lightwave3d! anyone here use it? and if you have used it and other programs how would you rate it?... I tried out Rhino.. its terrible IMO..

Not to piss of any Lightwave fans but if you are comming from ANY other 3D program, Lightwave is hard to adjust to. It appears, to me, clunky, difficult to come to grips with and not user friendly. eg. No sliders or easy image mapping. I think it just comes from a very different design idea.

As Mr Cup always says,

For low poly stuff, I recommend Milkshape3d (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft). It doesn''t have quite as many features as something like LW3d or MAX, but the price is right: 20.00 US. Development is active on it, and there''s quite a bit of community support (lots of tutorials, etc.)

It also has good half-life and quake (incl. III) support.

There''s a 30-day eval version on the website.

-- Pryankster

As many of you probably know, I''m a trueSpace fan. This would be my recommendation. It''s also currently being used in a Q3A mod, which you can read about at http://www.planetquake.com/tec

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com

Lightwave 3D rocks... I started on Bryce, and moved on to Lightwave... After you get the hang of it, it''s really quite simple... well... for me anyway.

That sounds like a logical progression.

As Mr Cup always says,

Guest Anonymous Poster
one program nobody mentioned is strata 3d. It was used awhile back in the creation of the game Myst. Strata is now releasing the full version for free download at
http://shop.3d.com/strata/strata3d/index.html
it requires win98/winnt 4.0 or mac??.
i have not yet used it. need to get win98 .
should be decent though.

Cloxs were did you er........... buy the 3d studio max?

I'm just a ghetto child trying to make , Mama wont pray for your baby ...........

Well...I will tell you all what I think. I went to school for 3D, learned Power Animator(not around anymore), Softimage(the best for animating), Maya(yippee!), and Lightwave(yuck). I have used Houdini(really hard), I am learning Max right now, and I have touched every other program out there except for truespace and Mirai.

Personally I would recommend Maya(personal favorite). It is the most powerful, and remarkably easy to use. the one down side is the price, but they have the deals going on now for builder for like $3000 or something. But of course, that is for the professionals.

For beginners, i would recomend trying to get your hands on studio max. it might be a little bit of money...but well worth it. you could also try Nendo...a nice little package for $100, which is great for low poly stuff. or even Hash, which is also $100. These programs are more for just getting you feet wet though.

i would stay away from ray dream - far away
bryce...the only good thing about bryce is its easy and good for making textures.
lightwave...i cannot stand lightwave...but many of my friends like it a lot, so its up to you.

thats enough of my rambling. but when deciding what you want to do, its pretty easy. if you want to do games, learn max. if you want to do movies, get maya or softimage, or sometimes even max or lightwave.

-Luxury

• Advertisement