Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time update question in an MMPOG

This topic is 5539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m grappling with a design issue for a network system for a massively multiplayer online game. The problem I have is that I want a single time update source for everyone. Now the following is a very brief descripton of what I have so far: - Zone Manager; as the name says, manages the players in a zone. Sends time updates to all Clients attached to them. - Clients; connected to a single Zone Manager via UDP for game updates and TCP/IP for system control. This isn''t set in stone though. - Time Manager; connected to all Zone Managers and sends time updates to Zone Managers via UDP. I have it so that the Time Manager sends updates at regular intervals to the Zone Managers, and the ZMs adjust their game clocks accordingly. Also, at a regular interval, each Zone Manager sends time updates to its clients, who update their game clocks accordingly. Now would this work? The whole point of this is to ensure that all game clocks are in synch. Does it matter that the Client clocks aren''t being updated at the same time as the Zone Manager clocks? Any thoughts? Thanks

Guest Anonymous Poster
As long as you synch properly at the beginning of a session, you should be fine, and you won''t need to re-synch very often, you''d probably be better sending the time synchs guaranteed as system control, rather than plain udp...

Why is TimeManager using UDP to communicate with the ZoneManagers? Are you distributing this? If so, you''re gonna get time problems across that link as well.

Why not just ''piggyback'' the current time in your usual messages sent to the clients? Personally I don''t see why you need to worry about this so much, but then I''m no expert. The server time is the only important one.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

Good point; I should probably consider sending time updates via TCP/IP to ensure they arrive. I am distributing it.

I think that if I piggy back the time update with game update messages, then that will probably increase the average message size unneccessarily.

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Why is TimeManager using UDP to communicate with the ZoneManagers? Are you distributing this? If so, you''re gonna get time problems across that link as well.

Why not just ''piggyback'' the current time in your usual messages sent to the clients? Personally I don''t see why you need to worry about this so much, but then I''m no expert. The server time is the only important one.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]