Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vcGamer

Dynamic Arrays Problem

Hi, I''ve just finished my engine, but only a little problem is preventing me from owning a completely Object Oriented Engine. I want to declarer dynamic arrays (which there size is going to filled based on my game meshes), like VB, IB, world matrices... I''ve a header, a class called: in the .h file: PowerXChar { LPVertexBuffer8* vb; } in the main .cpp engine file: PowerXChar:owerXChar(.....) { LPVertexBuffer8* vb = new LPVertexBuffer8[num_of_meshes_in 3d file]; ... } PowerXChar::Render{...) { Here I again use vb..., but it seems they have lost their values, why? } tell me what to do?

In this line here:
LPVertexBuffer8* vb = new LPVertexBuffer8[num_of_meshes_in 3d file];

You''re making a new varible, not changing the vb member of PowerXChar.

Try charging it to :
vb = new LPVertexBuffer8[num_of_meshes_in 3d file];

or this->vb=...

malloc and free are C
new and delete are C++. new and delete call constructors and destructors of classes. also you don''t need to do any sizeof crap. they''re easier to use in terms of less characters/thinking to type/do.

-me

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
well i am used to malloc and free and i prefer to do it that way
So you prefer to write:

MyClass* p = static_cast<MyClass*>(malloc(sizeof(MyClass)));
new(static_cast<void*>(p)) MyClass;
// use p...

p->~MyClass();
free(p);

Instead of:

MyClass* p = new MyClass;
// use p...

delete p;

I don''t think there is any advantage to using malloc/free, unless, of course, you need to do realloc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Forgot error-checking:

MyClass* p = static_cast<MyClass*>(malloc(sizeof(MyClass)));
if(!p) throw bad_alloc;
try {
new(static_cast<void*>(p)) MyClass;
} catch(...) {
free(p);
throw;
}
// use p...

p->~MyClass();
free(p);

quote:
Original post by Basiror
why does nobody use malloc and free?

quote:
Original post by Basiror
well i am used to malloc and free and i prefer to do it that way

quote:
Original post by Basiror
i am used to it thats all

Then you are a C programmer, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as you keep to the C library and don''t ever try to use C++ features.

Pick one language or the other and please, do not advise other people to use a bastard mix of the two (as you seem to do).

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

quote:
Original post by Basiror
i didn t advice anybody i just asked why nobody uses it
thats all

malloc != new
free != delete

and thats the point, new and delete call constructors. And if you think constructors arent important, then expect all of your classes to crash.

--Fireking

Owner/Leader
Genetics 3rd Dimension Development

Guest Anonymous Poster
The point is that new/delete "know" about your contructor/destructor code. Meaning you get the chance to initalize/cleanup anything you want. Using malloc/free does not give you a chance to do this.

When I have to use strict C I always end up writing functions that do initialization like this:

Example *eg = AllocateExample();

Example* AllocateExample() {
Example *eg = malloc( sizeof(Example) );

eg->variable1 = 0;
eg->variable2 = 0;
eg->variable3 = 0;
}

so that I don''t forget to inialize something. Especially if you have member variables that are pointers...if you forget to initialize them to NULL and the you do a check against NULL somewhere else in your program then you are going to crash when you try to access that pointer.

If you use "new/delete" then you are given 1 place to do all of your initialization.