Argh what do people here think of Palladium??

Started by
16 comments, last by MARS_999 21 years, 6 months ago
It''ll be cracked in a week. Besides, MSFT is trying to be first-mover with Palladium, so its doomed to fail.

University is a fountain of knowledge, and students go there to drink.
Advertisement
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, as the man said, it''ll probably be cracked or circumvented pretty rapidly. Still, good to see an integrated, hardware-assisted approach to security - might help.
Is the idea that if I write some program, it won''t run unless I apply for a digital signature from MS?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (9th September)diaries for week #5

Also I''m selling a few programming books very useful to games coders. Titles on my site.

John 3:16
quote:Original post by d000hg
Is the idea that if I write some program, it won''t run unless I apply for a digital signature from MS?

No, that''s just the hippy MS is evil no matter what they do crowd want everyone to think. Unsigned software will work fine, it just won''t benifit from the protection and some integration features of Palladium* (ie. said hippies can still pirate your software and drive your startup company in the ground)

*By integration features I''m refering to Palladium doing things like** allowing DRM (digitial rights management) media to be converted to other formats so long as the protection remains in place. This obviously can''t be done with applications that aren''t signed since it could be a hacker app designed to ripp the protection and automatically post it to Kazaa.

**To my knowledge Microsoft has not announced this, I''m just citing an example of a Palladium feature that would only be usable by signed "safe" applications.
quote:Original post by d000hg
*By integration features I''m refering to Palladium doing things like** allowing DRM (digitial rights management) media to be converted to other formats so long as the protection remains in place. This obviously can''t be done with applications that aren''t signed since it could be a hacker app designed to ripp the protection and automatically post it to Kazaa.

Strange, If I use separate libs (and am allowed to run unsigned code) not provided by MS – unsigned ones that is – it would have to monitor those programs activities to prevent me from doing that. That does not seem very likely.
quote:Original post by Michalson
Wow, you spelled MS with 2 $s. I''m impressed.

Yes, looks like its profits are up

You know, I never wanted to be a programmer...

Alexandre Moura
the downside: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
did anyone notice the part about them being able to delete things from your computer remotely? i imagine they could also copy your files remotely, without your consent... screw this!
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement