Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

high level shader languages

This topic is 5539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

nvidia is developing one called Cg i believe, an ATI has their own brand coming out to. where could i find info or books on these languages. It woudl probably be a good idea to start learning them asap. keep up with the market kind of thing "The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD

No books on either of those(well nvidia has a book somewhere on cg, but you can''t buy it, you can only get it in pdf format). There is a good book on normal shaders called ShaderX which help understand shaders, and can easlly be ported to cg(which is a cool language btw). Or you could hop over to cgshaders.org and check out the example shaders(look up my flag and blastring effect :-)).
Jesse
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/
P.S.
Don''t forget 3dlabs high level shaders for opengl 2.0....

- Cg, MS D3D HLSL & OpenGL HLSL should all be interchangable, same thing, slightly different extensions.

- ATI has RenderMonkey which is a studio for authoring and testing shaders. Currently that''s low level shaders.

- ATI also has ATILLA which is a runtime shader fragment linker. Roughly the same idea as nVidia''s NVLink.

- AFAIK ATI won''t be releasing their own mostly-the-same-with-tiny-differences form of the above HLSLs. "Sushi" is one of their demo engines.

- Pixar''s RenderMan is the shader model which most high level shading languages are based on. Though some things are done differently to be practical at runtime.

- RenderMan is a mature system, there are plenty of books available for that. Though really shading languages are just a way to let you express maths operations on vertices and pixels.

- The shading languages are so simple that in my view there''s no way you need a whole book to learn them. What''s much more important is learning the maths, physics and algorithms behind light and special effects.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com