Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iNfuSeD

high level shader languages

nvidia is developing one called Cg i believe, an ATI has their own brand coming out to. where could i find info or books on these languages. It woudl probably be a good idea to start learning them asap. keep up with the market kind of thing "The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD

No books on either of those(well nvidia has a book somewhere on cg, but you can''t buy it, you can only get it in pdf format). There is a good book on normal shaders called ShaderX which help understand shaders, and can easlly be ported to cg(which is a cool language btw). Or you could hop over to cgshaders.org and check out the example shaders(look up my flag and blastring effect :-)).
Jesse
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/
P.S.
Don''t forget 3dlabs high level shaders for opengl 2.0....

- Cg, MS D3D HLSL & OpenGL HLSL should all be interchangable, same thing, slightly different extensions.

- ATI has RenderMonkey which is a studio for authoring and testing shaders. Currently that''s low level shaders.

- ATI also has ATILLA which is a runtime shader fragment linker. Roughly the same idea as nVidia''s NVLink.

- AFAIK ATI won''t be releasing their own mostly-the-same-with-tiny-differences form of the above HLSLs. "Sushi" is one of their demo engines.

- Pixar''s RenderMan is the shader model which most high level shading languages are based on. Though some things are done differently to be practical at runtime.

- RenderMan is a mature system, there are plenty of books available for that. Though really shading languages are just a way to let you express maths operations on vertices and pixels.

- The shading languages are so simple that in my view there''s no way you need a whole book to learn them. What''s much more important is learning the maths, physics and algorithms behind light and special effects.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com