Morrowind dust storm effect

Started by
4 comments, last by Dirge 21 years, 5 months ago
I''ve been studying how they did the dust storm effect and it seems to be just a bunch of large textured (additive?) alpha-blended quads that fly past you and are respawned back in front of you. Does this seem to be what they did? Anyone have any observations, suggestions, or comments on how to do such an effect??? Thanks! "Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare Dirge - Aurelio Reis www.CodeFortress.com Current Causes: Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure that you are right saying that they are using large textured quads for the effect. If they would handle every particle on its own, there''d be a huge slowdown and it wouldn''t look much better.
I guess that they''re spawning new particles at a position similar to (PlayerPos-WindDirection*SomeScaleValue)+RandomVector()*AnotherScaleValue
I thought so. When I posted on this question on the NeHe forum it was suggested that a particle engine could be used, but honestly, I don't think it would be feasible to fiddle around with that many particles.

[edited by - tuita on October 17, 2002 3:08:33 AM]
Maybe what they mean is a particle system with a little particle number but *BIG* particle size. Anyway, you need a random billboard polygon generator and that is the basic function of a particle system.

[edited by - Nil_zm on October 17, 2002 5:48:29 AM]
Although we are getting out of the 3D realm here, I believe my post still applies to the issue at hand. In the Gameboy Advance game Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (White Night Concerto), there is a magic or two that creates a field of sparkly particles around the hero character. Upon seeing this effect one is lead to believe that each of these particles are being drawn individual. Given that the GBA only handles 128 hardware sprites at a time, the effect is rather impressive, but in reality the particles are grouped as one large sprite. With a clever bit of sprite animation are made to look as if they are processed individually.

So, as per your original idea, perhaps generating a few variations of a noise function to create some chaotic appearance to your large quads may help liven up the effect a bit. Experimentation is definately necessary here. Morrow does perform this effect rather nicely, and truely creates atmosphere.

Good luck getting it to work, and post your demo here when you have it ready.

Danny
I got the effect going by doing what I first suggested and it works quite beautifully! Basically use large sprites with a decent weather system (a particle system that takes into effect wind speed and direction). The trick I think is the sprite texture. The one I''m using right now is a smoke texture but it actually looks pretty good. If I did something similar to what NitroSR said (thanks!), I believe it would look even better (I didn''t try spinning the sprite around either, hmm, that might look good). Unfortunetly this is for a commercial title that hasn''t been announced yet so you guys''ll have to wait about a year to see it. ;-)

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement