RPG stats - show or hide?

Started by
2 comments, last by Dynamite 21 years, 6 months ago
What are your opinions of viewing charcter stats in RPG''s? Would you rather see numerically how your avatar advances or is it enough to see it as a result of in-game actions? For example, you would notice that your guy delivers stronger blows over time, etc. Or as another option, what about knowing your "strength" relative to others? I see a problem with hiding stats in that the advances would probable have to be more rapid than normal level-ups so the player won''t have to wait a long time to see improvement. What do you think? --I don''t judge, I just observe Stuck in the Bush''s, Florida
--I don't judge, I just observeStuck in the Bush's, Florida
Advertisement
Personally, I prefer to see how my character develops. It''s always interesting to see how what you are after equipping affects your stats. As for releative strengths, I would leave that as it is commonly done, through the magic system.

I disagree slightly with your point on hiding the stats resulting in the necessity to speed up level-up. You would not necessarily have to increase the spped at which they happen, but you would certainly have to make them more evident when they do; eg: flares from punches, burlier looking avatars, more violent enemy falling animations, etc. This is why it is best to leave the stats visible, it saves on production time elsewhere.

If at first you don''t succeed, call it version 1.0

SketchSoft | SketchNews
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
A historic thread on a similar subject can be found Here.

It''s 400 messages long, so quite a read. I think one of the conclusions was that hiding the stats away where they cannot be seen by players might be counter-productive, scaring away the type of player that you''re trying to attract.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
doodle:
Thanks for the input. That''s actually what I was thinking about increasing the effect as opposed to the time, but I guess I didn''t write that out too well!

MadKeith:
Thanks for the link, I will scroll through it over the next few months!

--I don''t judge, I just observe
Stuck in the Bush''s, Florida
--I don't judge, I just observeStuck in the Bush's, Florida

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement