Defining Personality

Started by
3 comments, last by deClavier 21 years, 6 months ago
As is my recognized habit, I wish to initiate an obscure discussion: about personality. My most immediate conjecture is that personality is a characteristic reduction of options and actions from a larger set of possibilities. I might add that this reduction is in aid of the self-dissolution of incompatible states that are attributable to a single entity (though I am less certain of the validity of this). Bear in mind that the point of this discussion is to avoid particulars where possible. We all know that everyone has a personality, attempting to demonstrate this would be redundant. Do you have any theories?
Advertisement
I agree with the theory. You could say the same thing in a different way. Personality is a characteristic _selection_ of options and actions from a larger set of possibilities, which doesn''t sound as mystical

quote:Original post by deClavier
I might add that this reduction is in aid of the self-dissolution of incompatible states that are attributable to a single entity (though I am less certain of the validity of this).

I agree with this as well. But I don''t think the incompatibility of states is always absolute (usually it is for consistency). Incompatibility of states is sometimes determined by history and human experience. We think funny people aren''t serious mainly because, from experience, we see that most funny people aren''t serious also.

So how does this relate to gameplay? Different characters will follow different sets of actions within a larger set of possiblities. Warren Spector will run through the level shooting madly, while Harvey Smith will run through the level using stealth.
My most immediate conjecture is that personality is a characteristic reduction of options and actions from a larger set of possibilities.

Hm, I''d further detail it as follows:

Personality first filters the total set of possibilities into a perceived set of possibilities.
Then, it sorts the perceived set from best to worst option by a combination of perceived difficulty and reward.
Personality also determines how the outcome of something tried affects the next problem that comes up (i.e. mood).

It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
How is it that personality remains consistent across different situations? Or is that a misconception of self-similarity?
How is it that personality remains consistent across different situations? Or is that a misconception of self-similarity?

If, like you said, personality is a filter that is applied to a set of actions, across different situations, the consistency is within the filter, not the actions that are reduced. Or maybe I''m just restating the obvious.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement