Game Programming "All in one" or "Dummies"?

Started by
17 comments, last by WoodYee 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I''m a newbie to C++ and to Game programming and I''m not sure which book is better suited for me. All in one seems more complete and you actually create games, such as a breakout clone. But Dummies got a higher rating and I''m not sure which is better for me. Any advice? Thanks!
Advertisement
From personal experience, I''d say go for All in One. I don''t think the dummies books are that great.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I am sure that this may be for you, but if you are serious about game programming, you should be serious about the what books you read too. The books you mention are quite populistic so you are missing out on the really good ones.

I recommend that you browse through the booklist I made at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/2FRIQOWB2THR/ref=cm_aya_av.sylt_sylt/103-4047278-4775824
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Hey.. In response to that other guy. I wouldn''t try helping someone buy giving him a list of books that will cost $1500. That can really turn someone off. What I would suggest is buy the needed books in his pile. I will list what would be good to have, and what you need to start 3D programming. (I know this because I asked the exact same question, got "GO TO TUTORIALS" answers so I turned to a friend of mine that programs for a living.

The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
C++ Primer (3rd Edition)
AI Game Programming Wisdom (with CD-ROM) *Pretty expensive*
Introduction to Algorithms, Second Edition
Game Programming Gems |
Game Programming Gems 2 |--- Really good books (supposedly)
Game Programming Gems 3 |
Real-Time Rendering
Programming Windows, The Definitive Guide to the Win32 API
Game Programming All in One (guessing you''re into Direct X)

There. This amounts to around $510 Canadian.. so $400 American. (guessing). I myself have bought different books, but the books he mentioned are really good from reading them and asking around at work. I myself am going to finish off my "Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 Days" (believe me, it''s taking longer than 21 Days) After this, I''m reading Game Programming All in one, the Programming Role-Playing games. After I''m done these I''m going to start off with that list up there. Then, in University/College take Computer Science or Software Engineering.

Good Luck to you, me, and all new people! =)
From personnal experience, Ì''d tell you to go with GP All in One...

the for dummies books are pretty bad, according to me...

Buy Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus and later get the second volume when its out. These are the really important books that make the difference.
Lamothe books are filled with errors. Totwgpg first program doesn''t even compile... not the black box, the one after. Error message " Can not handle 8 params ". Obviously Lamothe has some custom compiler because his code is full of bugs =)
That Game Programming All In One isn''t the greatest book, it assumes no programming experience yet if you have none, you can''t understand A THING in this book. However, read something like "C++ in 21 days" er something and you should get through it okay. (I''m reading GPAIO and I only read up to like chapter 10 in my C++ book!)

I borrowed the dummies book in the library, when i was just starting to learn DirectX(never really finished learning it, changed to SDL+OpenGL), its really horrible, so the all in one book can hardly be any worse.
I read up to chapter/day 12 in my book, and I''m going to read GPAIO... I actually ordered it last week along with Role-Playing games with Direct X.

So I think i''ll be able to understand it =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement