Window Problems...

Started by
5 comments, last by lucid999 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''m new to Direct3D, but I''ve been using OpenGL for a while. I downloaded and ran the example window tutorial from NeXe''s website, but I noticed that when the window loses focus, the mouse movement is choppy. How do I fix that? Also what is the best D3D book or website to learn from? Thanks.
Advertisement
Do you have the latest version of your video drivers and/or the lastest version of directx? That might solve the problem.

Anyhoo, some good books for learning directX are:

Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX (by forum moderator Jim Adams)

I have this book and it is a VERY good introduction to directx and to developing games. Even if you do not plan on creating an RPG (like me) this book is certainly worth your money.

Good websites for learning direct3D are:

www.andypike.com
www.drunkenhyena.com

nexe.gamedev.net is kind of iffy because some of their code is.. well.. bad. heheh.

Don''t forget you''ll be needing the directX SDK! You can find that somewhere at msdn.microsoft.com .. search for DirectX SDK.

I''ve often heard that changing between these two graphics API''s is quite easy, so I hope you don''t have too much troubles!! and welcome to directX!

¬_¬
may be because the program doesn''t stop running when it loses focus, thus it steals cpu time from other processes when it''s in background.
Thanks for the replys. I compiled and ran one of the Microsoft DirectX examples and when its window lost focus or when it was minimized, there were no mouse movement problem. Unfortunately, figuring out what the 3000+ line code does differently is not trivial.

Thanks again.
look for WM_ACTIVATE/WM_ACTIVATEAPP handler.
hi!
Thanks! It works now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement