Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walkingcarcass

cd music

to save loading times, i want to stream music directly from cd (or dvd) this should be not only possible, but very quick as there''s no conversion overhead, just mixing which should be done in hardware. so how do i do it? also, is it possible to make continuous small corrections to playback to synchronise sound with events? ******** A Problem Worthy of Attack Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back

quote:
Original post by walkingcarcass
to save loading times, i want to stream music directly from cd (or dvd) this should be not only possible, but very quick as there''s no conversion overhead, just mixing which should be done in hardware.

I assume you mean direct CD-audio... I doubt there''s anything in DirectSound about this because it''s not really anything to do with the CPU. You just tell the cd player to play, and it''s about 3 lines of Win32 API code from what I remember. Sorry I don''t remember what they are, exactly. One downside is that some people (like me) have 2 cd-rom drives, and the one I use for games is not wired up for cd-audio. So I''d hear no music on your game.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

mciSendString is the api,

you need to open a CDAUDIO device,
and issue seek and play commands on it ;-)

Raymond Jacobs,
Profesional Web Applications Developer,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com