Trying to take out a piece of a char

Started by
5 comments, last by peter86 21 years, 6 months ago
I´m trying to take out a piece of a char. I have a pathlist, like this: "C:\Dir\File.ext, C:\Dir\File2.ext, C:\Dir\File3.ext" (lpPathList) and then I want to put the first path in a char (cDestination) and the rest in an other char (cSource). I have´t got the code working, it crashes on a line after it have ran the line some times. Do anyone know why? Here´s the code:

char SplitPathList( LPSTR* lpPathList )
{
	char	cPathList[MAX_PATH];
	char	cDestination[MAX_PATH];
	char	cSource[MAX_PATH];
	int		iCurPos = 0;

memcpy( cPathList, *lpPathList, strlen(*lpPathList)+1 );

while( iCurPos < strlen(*lpPathList) )
	{
		if( cPathList[iCurPos] == ',' )
		{
			iCurPos++;

for( int i = iCurPos; i<strlen(cSource) - iCurPos; i++ )
			{
				// The program crashes on the line below, but not the first times it runs

cSource[i - iCurPos] = cPathList[i];
			}

break;
		}

cDestination[iCurPos] =  cPathList[iCurPos];

iCurPos++;
	}

DISPLAYMSG( cSource );
	DISPLAYMSG( cDestination );

*lpPathList = cSource;

return *cDestination;
}

[edited by - peter86 on October 17, 2002 4:29:13 PM]
Advertisement
What error did the compile output? I suspect an index is invalid.

Kuphryn
kuphryn suspicion is correct. The length of the uninitalized string cSource is used in the following 'for' loop:

for( int i = iCurPos; i<strlen(cSource) - iCurPos; i++ ){  // The program crashes on the line below, but not the first times it runs  cSource[i - iCurPos] = cPathList[i];}  

Making it's upper bound unknown (and probably causing (i - iCurPos) to exceed MAX_PATH).

[edited by - Solo on October 17, 2002 11:39:51 PM]
// Ryan
I´ve changed the for-loop to this:
for( int i = iCurPos; iBut the output is still full of crap. Why?
Grrr... I had a nice lengthy reply and there was an "interal server error" and I lost it. Somewhat summarized:

- The for loop:

for ( int i = iCurPos; i<strlen(cPathList) + 1; i++ )  

- cDestination doesn't get a null character to terminate the string
- return values:
-- cSource is going to be deallocated when the function exits. lpPathList ends up pointing to unused memory from cSource that will be written over. You need to write your output directly to lpPathList. When you do this lpPathList can be a LPSTR instead of LPSTR*
-- the function only returns one character of cDestination, probably 'C'. Add another LPSTR parameter to the function write data directly to it.

- this code doesn't put a null character at the end of lpDestination if lpPathList has no commas.

void SplitPathList( LPSTR lpPathList, LPSTR lpDestination ){	char	cPathList[MAX_PATH];	int		iCurPos = 0;	memcpy( cPathList, lpPathList, strlen(lpPathList)+1 );	while( iCurPos < strlen(cPathList) )	{		if( cPathList[iCurPos] == ',' )		{                        lpDestination[iCurPos] = '\0'			iCurPos++;			for( int i = iCurPos; i<strlen(cPathList) + 1; i++ )			{				lpPathList[i - iCurPos] = cPathList[i];			}			break;		}		lpDestination[iCurPos] =  cPathList[iCurPos];		iCurPos++;	}	DISPLAYMSG( lpPathList );	DISPLAYMSG( lpDestination );}  

Nearly equilavent code with C standard functions and funky pointer math

void SplitPathList( LPSTR lpPathList,                    LPSTR lpSource,                    LPSTR lpDestination ){    LPSTR afterthecomma;    afterthecomma = strrchr(lpPathList, ',');    strcpy(lpSource, afterthecomma + 1);    strncpy(lpDestination, lpPathList, afterthecomma - lpPathList);    lpDestination[afterthecomma - lpPathList] = '\0';}  

[edited by - jediknight219 on October 18, 2002 4:30:07 PM]
Aaargh! Everyone save your workspaces before your program locks up your computer!
There''s no need for you to code this up by yourself, you have several easier options:

1) strtok() if you must stick with char arrays.

2) Use std::string class, and the find_first_of() and substr() methods to break it apart.

3) boost (www.boost.org) has a tokenizer class that does this also. I haven''t used it, but I''m sure it''s great.

As for why it''s not working, I haven''t tried to figure it out.
It isn´t very much to code, so why shouldn´t I code it when I need some experience?
I´ve alredy tryed strtok() and I don´t know STL, so I decided to code it myself.

[edited by - peter86 on October 18, 2002 5:07:19 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement