Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ziphnor

Redhat8.0/g++ 3.2 hash_map woes!

Argghh, i make frequent use of the STL hash_map and curse the fact that it isnt part of the C++ standard... Anyway, in Win32 ive been using STLPort / SGI STL, and hash_maps like for example #include <hash_map> int main() { hash_map h; } First off, g++ complains about the above, saying it cant find the hash_map include file. So i looked it up, and its in /usr/include/c++/3.2/ext/, so i add that to the include path for g++, and it finds the file just fine. BUT now it complains that ''hash_map'' is undeclared.... What am i doing wrong here? Am i using the wrong header? If i use hash_map.h instead(old style) i get a warning about using oldstyle includes, but it compiles.[and i DONT want to change all my hash_map includes to hash_map.h for many reasons ] Any ideas?

Ooops, but that was a mistake in what i posted here, not in the code i was actually trying to compile(dont know how i managed to screw up a copy-paste? , it was actually

#include <hash_map>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
hash_map<int,int> h;
return 0;
}

Anyway, im still getting the (same) error, any ideas?

[edited by - ziphnor on October 18, 2002 5:42:48 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
hash_map is an extension and as such is found in the ext/ directory. Therefore, you''ll have to include ext/hash_map. Also, note that the GNU libstdc++ is actually correct: given that hash_map isn''t standard, it doesn''t belong to the std namespace. You''ll find it in the __gnu_cxx namespace (since g++ 3.0 anyway).

Finally, the following will fail (at least it does on my systems) :

#include <ext/hash_map>

#include <string>

int main( ) {
__gnu_cxx::hash_map< std::string, std::string > hm;
}

You''ll have to specialize the hash for it to work with std::string, like this:

#include <ext/hash_map>

#include <string>

// ideally you''ll put this in another namespace as to not

// pollute __gnu_cxx, and provide it as a template

// parameter to hash_map.

namespace __gnu_cxx {
template<>
struct hash< std::string > {
size_t operator( )( std::string const & s ) const {
return __stl_hash_string( s.c_str( ) );
}
};
}

int main( ) {
__gnu_cxx::hash_map< std::string > hm;
}

Of course you could also use your own hashing function/functor.

Hope this helps.

That does indeed explain whats been going on.
The old style, worked in Redhat 7.3, but that was gcc 2.95, RH 8 is 3.2.
Im not opposed to it being in /ext in any way, seems fair enough, but im not too happy about it, or the namespace, since im trying to write code that compiles on both linux and windows(VS.net)[using SDL+OpenGL].
The hashmap introduces plenty of problems there already as the VS.NET STL library(Dinkum or whatever its called) doesnt use the same syntax as STLPort/SGI.
But i thought i had solved this issue by using STLPort with VS.NET.

Now i have to include different files depending on the OS, not very neat. Maybe i should just write my own hashmap.....

But thanks a lot(!) for clearing this up for me.