opengl vs. directx

Started by
6 comments, last by GAMESGUY4 21 years, 6 months ago
In you guys' opinion, which is better (I started to learn opengl): I have Dev-C++ and MS Visual C++ 6 Standard, but I couldn't find DirectX libraries in either (Yes, I am on a low budget; got ms visual C++ 6 really cheap) ? edited by ze: keep your software attainment methods to yourself. [edited by - zealouselixir on October 17, 2002 10:52:12 PM]
"do or do not, there is no try." Yoda."I know not what weapons will WW3 will be fought, but I know that WW4 will bought fought with sticks and stones"
Advertisement
Well, OpenGL is pretty straight forward. But it''s only used graphics wise. DirecX you can also do graphics, but just about everything else. You are gonna have to DL the directX SDK from Microsoft. It is FREE, right from their site. But, its all up to you. Can''t really find a way to answer which to learn though.
There isn''t really a best one. It is all really a matter of taste. The best one is the one that YOU can use the best, not what others think. So if you are learning OpenGL, then continue learning it. If you find it complicated or have trouble, then try DirectX. Just use what you think is best, and don''t worry about what other''s think.
"...."
[FLAMEBAIT]

btw, both are fine. dont choose one cause john blow told you its better. just choose one and learn it, the other will be 10x as easy to learn afterwards so it doesnt even matter much.

btw, its going to take some time so calm down a little and look some stuff up.

edited by ze: get an account if you're gonna talk like that, coward.

[edited by - zealouselixir on October 17, 2002 10:53:59 PM]
[ZAPPED] There are plenty of free C++ compilers out there.

For DirectX you need the DirectX SDK from Microsoft. It's free. For OGL you don't need anything extra unless you want to use Glut which isn't necessary.

OpenGL will compile the easiest with the free compilers so since you have no money, that would be your best option.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]

edited by ze: This is not a warning or a reprimand; I'm just trying to keep everything clean and seemly around here.

[edited by - zealouselixir on October 17, 2002 10:55:06 PM]
4 one, if u wanna use vc++ 6 standard, please don''t use warez/downloaded cuz altho microsoft doesn''t really need the money, it''s morally wrong. I will personally send you an introductory version (on cd) which is practically the exact same as standard except when you create programs it outputs a message box that says you can''t distribute the program using the intro version. It''s more for learning purposes, not selling. When you''re ready to actualy sell or market a game, then you should buy the full version. Anyways...devc++ is also very good so if you don''t trust me w/ sending u a copy, i''d recommend u just use devc++. oh and if u did download vc++ 6 lol, don''t tell ne1 hehe because it''s possible ppl mite report u altho most wouldn''t n microsoft probly wouldn''t care ne-ways.

anyways...go to nehe.gamedev.net and check out some tutorials. get a feel of how opengl code looks and it''s procedural style. Then go to www.drunkenhyena.com and www.andypike.com and check out their tutorials. Look at the modulism of the code and it''s style. And then sinse they are practically alike in their concepts, just choose based on which seems more for you. That simple.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
quote:Original post by RapidStunna
4 one, ...

Man, I really hate when people talk in "dude-speak". It is disrespectful to annoy everybody else just save a few letters when typing. Loose it or be classified "kiddie-hacker" forever.
If you search for it there has been one OGL vs D3D thread that hasn''t attracted trolls, flamers, idiots and "know all" APs. If you don''t find your answer there then just read the article made to replace these pointless threads here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement