3D models with Direct3D?

Started by
4 comments, last by Roble 21 years, 6 months ago
Can you use 3D models from 3DS Max with Direct3D? or is it only for OpenGL? PS. I''m debating which book to buy. I want to know if OpenGL has some advantages over Direct3D, or visa-versa. Thank you for you time =).
I M Teh n00B11!!!1
Advertisement
you can use any file format with any api, just as long as the api supports drawing with triangles, because the file only contains the vertecies and triangles/polygons. you get those polygons and store them some where, and render from those

so to answer your question, you can use ANY 3d model fileformat with Direct X or OpenGL (they both support rendering with polygons or whatever)

--Fireking

Owner/Leader
Genetics 3rd Dimension Development
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
Yes, you need to get a filter to convert them to .x format. Try searching the ''net for ".max to .x converter"

And as for which is better, well, Direct3D is more complicated, but not neccesarily better. Try reading up on the subject.

And for heavens sake , GET A BOOK!

- LancingFury
President of CharSoft
3D models (of any type) can be used in either DirectX or OpenGL it''s just a matter of understanding how to parse the files. Whether those files are .3ds, .obj, .lwo, etc... You just need to be able to get the necessary data from them. Ultimately you are just reading in vertex data. There are some distinct differences between directX and OpenGL that you will need to work around when switching between the two (i.e. coordinate systems) But don''t let this limit your choice in APIs. Learn the basics of 3d graphics and you will have little trouble switching back and forth between APIs.

Chris Z.
ZeroFX Interactive
Chris Z. GPU FX
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/topic.asp?url=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml

One of the DirectX SDK Extras is a File Exporter with plugins for Maya and 3DStudio Max.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish

PS. Never used it, just noticed it the other day.

[edited by - ShadeStorm on October 17, 2002 11:49:17 PM]
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Thanks for the help, guys! =)

Originally posted by Charsoft:

"And for heavens sake , GET A BOOK!"

That's why I wanted to know which is 'better' or the advantages over the other that they may possess, because the books I want to get (that are the highly suggested ones) are around $59 USD Lol =P.

[edited by - Roble on October 18, 2002 4:52:20 PM]
I M Teh n00B11!!!1

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement