Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Night and thermal vision

This topic is 5539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure on which section to ask this so I decided to come here. Plus search function doesn''t work, ARG! Anyways, I am sure you all have seen the cool night and thermal vision effects used in some of the later games. I tried looking of thermal and night vision within game programming sites using google but found nothing. I think these are under some general topic I am not sure of, for example "pixel shaders". Any of you have an idea on how to approach this and what I should be looking into to implement something like this? Thanks for your help! I apologize if I sound completely clueless.

Replace your Texture with Night Vision textures....
i.e. add a red tint to all of your textures....This is what Doom used...and it works fairly well...

you would load a set of regular textures, and then apply a filter and load the "night vision" textures, then when night vision is activated, replace one set with another set, and of course, set the lighting variables accordingly, since you would have more visiable light

That covers the night vision part of it. How about the thermal vision effect? Thermal is based on tempature and even the same texture could have various tempatures. Light sources can affect the tempature of surfaces. What other possible methods are there to create the effect?

I guess you could change the color of the active lights. If you''re using lightmaps, change the color of the lightmap textures, and give them a minimum brightness if you want. I''m not sure how most games do it, but this is what comes to my mind.

I''ve not actually played it as the predator, but having seen screenshots of Aliens vs Predator 2, I''ve noticed that they seem to have particles or a glow coming from heat sources to simulate the air around them being heated.

That could be a cool effect.

I agree that changing the textures is probably the way to go. I suppose another way that may or may not look good, would be to change the vertex colours, that way you could simulate heat flow between objects.

You might want to look into enviroment mapping. although it''s usually used in reflections and chrome etc, you could create a enviroment map that is the heat of the object,

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave