2D or 3D?

Started by
8 comments, last by nicho_tedja 21 years, 6 months ago
Here''s my problem, currently I''m stuck in choosing which one to use in my games, 2D or 3D. If I choose 2D, I''m afraid I''m wasting my time learning something that I wouldn''t probably use in the future. Commercial games are all now in 3D, and yes, I want to be there. For me, making games is not just a hobby (I would go straight 2D if it''s just a hobby), it''s also my future/dream career. If I choose 3D, it takes time to learn, a lot, and I haven''t finished any single game in the past 2 years. I need to make a game. There''s something missing here (I got the urge). And no, I don''t want to make a pacman/breakout clone anymore, I have done those, and I want something more advanced. Something that will at least prepare me for the industry. That''s the problem, if I want something that can make me prepared, that should be 3D, not 2D. But...the urge.....its...overwhelming. btw...does any of u know if microsoft still provides DirectDraw documentation for C++? My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Advertisement
There''s a lot more to games than whether it''s 2d or 3d. Lots of basic game dynamics, AI and physics to consider, and they aren''t all that different when it comes to 2d or 3d. It seems like you''re a rather newbie in game programming (basing it on this sentence: "If I choose 2D, I''m afraid I''m wasting my time learning something that I wouldn''t probably use in the future." so I''d suggest you start with 2D and see what kind of problems you can run in there. Most of the same things will apply to 3d too, so you won''t be learning anything ''useless''.
that smiley wasn''t mean to be there . damn auto-completed smileys
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
It seems like you're a rather newbie in game programming (basing it on this sentence: "If I choose 2D, I'm afraid I'm wasting my time learning something that I wouldn't probably use in the future.") so I'd suggest you start with 2D and see what kind of problems you can run in there.

uh...I have a couple of games myself, exhibitioned in local school expo, or just-for-fun. I'm not a newbie in game programming (or am I?). dunno.

quote:
I'd suggest you start with 2D...

I've been there for years , but I admit I'm a complete newbie in 3D. This makes me to ask this question. I want and I will make 3D games, but that requires a lot of time to learn. Some people say that they (2D and 3D) are pretty much the same (just like you), but with all those vectors thingies, looks like they are very different for me. If 2D, I can make a game now, but when am I gonna be in 3D? If 3D, I probably have to learn for couple of months first before I can make a game. And the urge to make games is overwhelming.

[edited by - nicho_tedja on October 18, 2002 5:03:37 AM]
quote:Original post by nicho_tedja
This makes me to ask this question. I want and I will make 3D games, but that requires a lot of time to learn.

If you really are as determined to make games and make a career out of it as you say you are, then you should be able to put that time and effort into learning 3d. It will pay off in the end. Whats the hurry?

Depending on what API you''ve chosen, go to:

nehe.gamedev.net (opengl)
www.andypike.com (d3d8)

and follow the tutorials.

If you havent decided on an api yet, then experiment with both and then decide.

quote:
btw...does any of u know if microsoft still provides DirectDraw documentation for C++?

Im not sure about microsoft providing it, but i do have the directx 7 chm file kicking around my harddisk somewhere. Give me a bell if you want it.
quote:Original post by sark
Im not sure about microsoft providing it, but i do have the directx 7 chm file kicking around my harddisk somewhere. Give me a bell if you want it.

Sure, but, if I''m not mistaken, it''s about 7megs right? Hm..how do I get it from you?

Its 5.2mb and you can get it from my anonymous ftp @ 213.105.102.140 ... my cable upstream is crap so you might be a while.
Last time I checked, it was still available from MSDN.

Cédric
How about making a 2d game using one of the 3d API''s?(D3d or ogl)
That way you keep it pretty simple, but still learn some of the new 3d stuff.
That way, next time when you want to program a 3d game, you will already feel confident in the use of the API and some of the 3d graphics terms.
Learning 3D first won''t get you very far, thinking in terms of 3D is much more difficult than in 2D. Atleast learning 2D first you will have something to fall back on. Try creating 2D games and implementing 3D items that rotate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement