Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Know Why this worked?

This topic is 5538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is part of a skeletal animation system i''m working on where each joint has a relative vector(translation) and quaternion(rotation) from it''s parent. I was converting some data I exported out of 3D Max which use''s a right hand coordinate system (+z is up, +Y is away) to be used in DirectX (+y is up, +z is away). ok..no problem..switch the z and y for translation. now the part I don''t understand how it worked,rotation..I converted the quaternion by switching the z and y..converted to a rotation matrix..did a matrix transpose..then converted back to a quaternion. I did this by mistake, but it seems to work. What is the correct way to convert a quaternion from a right hand to a left hand coordinate system?

Guest Anonymous Poster
For quaternions describing rotations, you can treat it as a rotation around an arbitrary axis. x,y,z is the axis * sin(angle/2), w = cos(angle/2). By flipping the Y & Z, you are merely changing which axis you are rotating around. The transpose is required as a left handed system rotates the ''opposite'' way from a right handed system. You can optimize your Quat-to-Mat, Transpose, Mat-to-Quat by simply using the conjugate of the quaternion. I.E. newquat(-oldquat.x,-oldquat.y,-oldquat.z,oldquat.w) as this is the quaternions equiv. of a transpose.