• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bob_the_third

What's with the new Radon overlay advertisement?

This topic is 6084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
The revenue that keeps this site running. Anyone with half a brain can setup IE (or any browser for that matter) to block ads/content from scum advertisers while leaving legit ads in place.

Yeah, thats a third option.

quote:
Why would you want to take away Gamedev's only source of revenue?

Why GDNet has chosen not to display legit ads to opera users.. dont ask me..

[edited by - Jesper T on October 18, 2002 1:16:05 PM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Michalson
Why would you want to take away Gamedev''s only source of revenue? The revenue that keeps this site running. Anyone with half a brain can setup IE (or any browser for that matter) to block ads/content from scum advertisers while leaving legit ads in place.

Gee, I have two whole halves and I can''t get IE to do what I want!! Actually, I can block the popups quite easily. The problem I run into is the fact that I use Shift+click to open a lot of web pages into a new window so I don''t have to use the back button or fudge around with cached pages. If I disable popups, it also eliminates my ability to Shift+click. If you know of a way around that, then by all means, share. Otherwise, can I have half of your brain?

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com

About Pipo's shots: OMG, now I see what that looks like (they don't appear on Mozilla). I'm all for ads, when they help financing GDNet, but that thing goes definitely too far. I'd prefer pay a monthly access fee to GDNet than have to watch ads like that.

/ Yann

[edited by - Yann L on October 18, 2002 2:08:57 PM]

@ Yann: sarcastic?

I dont think Gamedev will remain the biggest resource if you guys ask an acces fee.

Im going to buy a Radeon card, now plz remove the damn thing!

[edited by - pipo declown on October 18, 2002 2:35:52 PM]

quote:
Original post by Yann L
About Pipo''s shots: OMG, now I see what that looks like (they don''t appear on Mozilla). I''m all for ads, when they help financing GDNet, but that thing goes definitely too far. I''d prefer pay a monthly access fee to GDNet than have to watch ads like that.

/ Yann

[edited by - Yann L on October 18, 2002 2:08:57 PM]

i agree.. set us up the subscription! actually, i use mozilla
so its not a problem.. but i''m all for helping out GDnet, i think
a subscription would be cool. (or even an advanced user account
which might have a few more features than the popup-ridden free
account?)
i dunno..

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

''In C we had to code our own bugs. In C++ we can inherit them.''

I don''t mind ads at all, but full page overlays go way too far. I don''t blame this at all on gamedev, I blame it on radeon .

I don''t mind ads at all, but full page overlays go way too far. I don''t blame this at all on gamedev, I blame it on radeon .

¬_¬

quote:

@ Yann: sarcastic?

No, absolutely not, I really mean it. I hate internet ads. I killed all popups in Mozilla, and although I leave the standard banner ads, I feel a bit guilty of taking away money from GDNet. So yes, I would encourage an (optinal) subscription service. Subscribe, and get an ad free account. That sounds fair to me.

/ Yann

I agree. I''d like to see a subscription service.
quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
I dont think Gamedev will remain the biggest resource if you guys ask an acces fee.

I think Dave has stated that if a subscription service were ever implemented, the core content of the site (i.e. the articles and the forums) would remain free. The subscriptors would then receive extra content/benefits, as opposed to removing access to existing content for non-subscriptors.

This topic is 6084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.