What's with the new Radon overlay advertisement?

Started by
75 comments, last by bob_the_third 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by mtaber
Gee, I have two whole halves and I can''t get IE to do what I want!! Actually, I can block the popups quite easily. The problem I run into is the fact that I use Shift+click to open a lot of web pages into a new window so I don''t have to use the back button or fudge around with cached pages. If I disable popups, it also eliminates my ability to Shift+click. If you know of a way around that, then by all means, share. Otherwise, can I have half of your brain?

Just edit your hosts file (on 2000 its in system32\drivers\etc, on 9X I think its either in the windows root directory or the system directory. Just use find to get it).

For instance gamespy has totally unacceptable advertising, so I add the line:

127.0.0.1 ads.gamespy.com

to my hosts file and its blocked.
Advertisement
Alright, first time I saw that ad: cute. Whatever. Doesn''t matter much, see it once, it''s gone, and anyway I''m running Mozilla at home so no matter. But in IE (at school) right now, anytime I hit the back button after reading a post I''ve gotta see that bloody ad. Fullscreen ads must die....
What a charming way to insure I will never buy an ATI card.
It''s not like you have to watch the whole thing anyway. Personally, I''m willing to perform the one extra click it takes to close the ad before it even drips more than an inch down the screen.
I''m not going to buy a Radeon 9700 Pro card, because they are expensive where i live(Brazil) because of dollar issues :~( , and ATI will make better cards when games start using DirectX 9.0/OpenGL 2.0. By that time i will be porting ATI drivers to FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and game industry will start to look at portable and reliable APIs to gfx,sound,input and time like glfw, because they will be faster and more stable than DirectX and portable, increasing the number of consumers, making more money and people more happy(or not. )

Back into the bloody-raw present, the ad isn''t THAT BAD, if you are smart you will only see once an internet session, because you won''t need to open gd home thousands of times, browsers that support that kind of ad can also open new windows.
----------------------------I would rather burn dollars than USA flags... but they are too expensive!
hey, Michalson what do I need to add to hosts for this problem?
notice a very small close button on the top left corner
quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
hey, Michalson what do I need to add to hosts for this problem?

The offending ad is served from the domain ds.eyeblaster.com. Adding this to your hosts aka "kill" file would look like this:

127.0.0.1 ds.eyeblaster.com

Once you''ve added it restart your browser (close all browser windows) and you should see this in place of the ATI ad:

Another example of hosts in action, blocking the obtrusive FanFiction.net ad that generates a fullscreen pop under (gambling search engine).

And finally we see the real benefit of the hosts file, allowing well behaved ads through:

Wow!

You''re amazing, thnx!
btw, i got 127.0.0.1 localhost, is this bad?
and I get a stupid faggot MEssageBox every time I start IE(6):
---------------------------
CS Host message
name = Error number = -2147024770 description = message =
OK

twice!! then i have to press ok, ok!

someone know how to solve it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement