• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bob_the_third

What's with the new Radon overlay advertisement?

This topic is 6083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Michalson
Adding this to your hosts aka "kill" file would look like this:

127.0.0.1 ds.eyeblaster.com
If you run a web server on your box, its error log will grow badly

Just for the record, I hate that blob ad, as well as other overlays, pop-ups and pop-behinds. Normal banners etc. are fine, and sometimes atually interesting.

quote:
Original post by CWizard
If you run a web server on your box, its error log will grow badly

Just for the record, I hate that blob ad, as well as other overlays, pop-ups and pop-behinds. Normal banners etc. are fine, and sometimes atually interesting.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Basically your hosts file is like a DNS lookup table. Whenever your computer wants something from a domain, like gamedev.net, it first looks in the hosts file to see if it already has the IP address. If not it will request the IP address from your ISPs DNS server. By using 127.0.0.1 (IP of the local machine) you are telling all these ad requests to go to yourself. Normally this has no problems (it can''t connect to the "server"), however if you are actually running a server on your machine it will process the request, sending back a 404 for "evilad.gif" and appending an error in your server log file.

Hey all.

I expected to see a round of complaints about this new ad, so I''ve kind of been avoiding the forums since posting it It''s not just some random ad that got slipped in to our regular rotation, it is part of a sponsorship from ATI that will last through the end of November. I know these ads are rather extreme, but believe me, there were worse options. The good news is that the sponsorship should help take care of bandwidth costs for a while.

Dave "Myopic Rhino" Astle
Executive Producer and COO, GameDev.net
Game Programmer, Avalanche Software
Author, OpenGL Game Programming

"Leaking and bleeding... that''s what happens when you don''t relax"

quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
Hey all.

I expected to see a round of complaints about this new ad, so I''ve kind of been avoiding the forums since posting it =) It''s not just some random ad that got slipped in to our regular rotation, it is part of a sponsorship from ATI that will last through the end of November. I know these ads are rather extreme, but believe me, there were worse options. The good news is that the sponsorship should help take care of bandwidth costs for a while.

Avoiding the forums!?! More like you''ve been a virtual hermit. You don''t appear online (even now, I assume you have MSN turned off), you don''t read your emails, you''re virtually invisible. Have you been selected as a jury member for a high profile trial or something?

Michalson how do you find out the address of where the ad is coming from so you can bolock it?

That one is tricky. The easiest way would be to look in your cache (temporary internet files in windows/IE) and look up a recent flash (.swf) file and what server it came from.

EDIT: For your sake I checked it myself: http://ds.eyeblaster.com/BurstingRes/Site-1155/Type-2/{B794E656-18D2-4AB0-8394-5E004A207F09}.swf
You may want to check that you don't block "nice" ads, if blocking that server; I won't.

[edited by - CWizard on October 19, 2002 4:46:27 PM]

quote:
Original post by CWizard
That one is tricky. The easiest way would be to look in your cache (temporary internet files in windows/IE) and look up a recent flash (.swf) file and what server it came from.

Or just write a 30 second javascript/VBScript extension for the IE right click menu.

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
and I get a stupid faggot MEssageBox every time I start IE(6
first of all, you''re a moron. you don''t know the meaning of "faggot" and if you''re using it as the term "gay"...it''s derrogatory which doesn''t belong on this message board. nor does a piece of trash like yourself.

everyone, deal with it. they need to pay the bills, and if this is the only way, i''m willing to sacrifice 4 seconds of my life for stuff that can help me. it doesn''t even appear every time you open the site.

--SuperRoy

[ www.Google.com ][ FlipCode IOTD ]
[ Email Me ][ WhitespaceUnlimited ]

quote:

Hey all.

I expected to see a round of complaints about this new ad, so I''ve kind of been avoiding the forums since posting it It''s not just some random ad that got slipped in to our regular rotation, it is part of a sponsorship from ATI that will last through the end of November. I know these ads are rather extreme, but believe me, there were worse options. The good news is that the sponsorship should help take care of bandwidth costs for a while.

Understood. If it''s good for the site, then by all means continue. I just hope this doesn''t become the standard popup in the near future...

This topic is 6083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.