That's what I call a fight!

Started by
5 comments, last by Noky 21 years, 5 months ago
Anyone ever think of the idea to make a game centered around fast paced combat often found in various popular and not so popular japanese animation. References: Angelic Layer Dragonball Z ( Please don''t flame ) Yu Yu Hakusho ( Again ) I was thinking is it currently possible ( none of those "everything is possible" comments please ) to incorporate a game that features skillful fights found in various martial arts movies ( you don''t need a reference, do a search for Jet Li on google ) and the fast action of animes ( various including previously stated ). Maybe you could work firearms into this too. I don''t have any examples of good gun video representation fights so all i can suggest is maybe Max Payne ( a PC title ), which wasn''t bad. For right now you can set the time period for wherever you want. Mideval, Futuristic, post-apocalyptic, whatever I don''t really care, just getting some discussion going. Any comments and ideas are welcome and highly appreciated.
Advertisement
Hm...

Have you played any Japanese arcade fighting games? Makers such as Capcom and SNK use animated sprites hand-drawn in the anime style, and the action can get extremely fast-paced and frenetic. I refer you to Vampire Savior (Capcom arcade machine) for an example of excellent hand-drawn sprites and outrageous combat styles.

ONI could''ve been this sort of game had it incorporated network multiplayer, and actually had the hand-animated cut scenes which it was intended to have. Instead, Microsoft made Bungie drop it, and GOD Games picked it up and shoddily half-completed it.

It''s been one of my persistent dreams to play a duel-style game with characters with truly outrageous power levels in an abandoned city. Ever seen X: Their Destiny was Foreordained, or Giant Robo? That kind of outrageous. The characters could be quite varied - a psychic supersoldier, a giant robot, a master of magic, a high-powered armored suit, any number of metahumans, Godzilla...

The real fun would be in good architectural damage modeling. Saw off giant chunks of buildings and hurl them at your opponent, or strike critical support columns to send skyscrapers crashing down on him. And of course, as in every good action movie, everything explodes. Everything.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

(By the way, the fact that Angelic Layer is a shoujo anime, yet has fights which IMHO are far superior to any in DBZ, amuses me to no end. And I love the English Cartoon Network dub of Yu Yu Hakusho. It''s such a guilty pleasure.)
----------------------------------------------------SpittingTrashcanYou can't have "civilization" without "civil".
Yeah that''s definatly on the right track. Incase anyone was wondering I wanted more of a slightly meta human thing. If anyone has the time, watch Bird of Prey on WB 9:00pm EST Wednesday night. Huntress isn''t up there like Goku from DBZ but she''s definatly more agile and powerful than a normal person. Just cut out the whole abiltity errirely scale walls. Only reason why I want you to think with limited power is because I think some people would get a little power hungry and start just using the sheer fact that they have god like strength and start chucking wall after wall.

Wait that could be pretty cool. Someone starts being cheesy with throwing walls and suddenly you get tired of it and start busting through their walls instead of trying to dodge. Kinda like what Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho) did in the Black Martial Arts tournament against Wu.
No offense, but if you think DBZ is fast-paced, then you must be a NASCAR fan. Dragonball and Dragonball Z are enjoyable, but are anything but fast-paced.
Duran, he was referring to the fights in themselves, not the series as a whole... a lot of the fights are fast-paced action, most of the hand-to-hand moves are drawn just as rapidly alternating sketches to portray this.

PSWind, for gun combat, if you want anime stylings you might wait for the matrix animes to come out I was going to suggest Hellsing but there isn''t much in the way of actual gun combat in it, largely one-shots. Although there is one guy that basically throws out strands of razor wire from his fingers as a weapon, that''s kind of interesting... might be hard to play balance though, or it could be completely abused a la Scorpion''s or Smoke''s spear in MK.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Occasionally Cowboy Bebop will have some impressive gunfights (specifically Pierrot Le Fue, and The Movie). But it would be hard to emulate that kind of style in a game IMHO, since it usually involves close-ups and many different angles.
-YoshiXGXCX ''99
Personally I feel that the speed of the fighting is most of what DBZ has going for it. Not to mention it''s pretty cool to see the transformations and fusions. All that pretty stuff with the beams are nice too.

When it comes down to the actual fighting I found Yu Yu Hakusho to be more skillful. There were less repeated frames and a larger array of techniques and character types.

They point don''t get any points for story but that''s probably not why your watching the show anyway.

What I want to know is if there is a way to capture some of the spirit of these fighting scenes, mix them with stylistic fighting, and and a big chunk of a well made weapon system?

I think I left my sanity a few miles back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement