Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhexb

Tutorial 10 Help, messing around with it

Hi I''m new to the board so i would just like to say a big HELLO! anyway, I have been busily working throught the tutorials for the past week or so and am now at something like tut 14. However I went back to tutorial 10 because I wan''t to challenge myself and create like, a kinda, 3D engine. I have got it so it uses quads instead of triangles and my big wish is for it to multi-texture. I have been working on it for a while now but can''t seem to work it out. Basically I have added a new number to the end of the co-ordinates line and this will make reference to which texture to use in the array. I have also got 2 other files. One contains the number of textures. This is used for the loop later. The other contains the paths of all the textures. It opens the file that contains the number of textures and reads this and dumps this in a variable. It then uses that variable to create a loop that adds a texture to the array using the loops number. In theory this does work, in practice however it performs an illegal operation. I was wondering if you could find any problems with that theory. I was also wondering if anyone does have a simple multi texture engine or something I could look at<- that would be much appreciated. Also, this may seem a bit dumb but what exactly are sectors? It says in the tutorial that this is one sector but you can do multi-sector engines and its not that difficult. thanks dhexb

Sector is a part of your level or world.
Say you have a gigantic level with a 5 million poly''s. You don''t want to render all 5 million at the same time, so you subdivide your world into sectors and then decide which ones to display.