Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Derived classes in DLLs

This topic is 5538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am starting a new project here at work, and I want to make it as extendable as possible. To this end, I want to be able to implement a system where I have multiple DLLs, each containing a class derived from some base class the has been declared in my program. In the main app, there will be a class "CDevice". This class will be pretty simple, and not have many functions: a constructor, a destructor, and an update function. I want to be able to write DLLs that contain classes that are derived from CDevice. Eventually, I will have it so that all DLL files in a given folder are loaded into my program to provide various types of devices which can be manipulated by the program. I would be very happy to see links/code/tidbits of knowledge on DLLs that contain classes (specifically derived classes). Thanks! -Mike

Just make sure that you have a __stdcall function to create an instance of the derived class. Otherwise, just write it like any other DLL ( or program, for that matter )