Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beavt8r

Cel-shaded FPS?

Hi, all! I was checking out some cel-shading and stuff and was wondering what everybody''s thoughts on a cel-shaded FPS were. Like the game XIII on the XBOX. I like cel-shading and the concept, and am considering making my FPS cel-shaded. It would go with the game''s plot, but I don''t know what everybody thinks about it. I was checking out XIII to see what a cel-shaded FPS would look like. Just tell me what you think about it. I would really appreciate any feedback! P.S. A good site is http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/image.php?Screen_ID=5334 It is coming...8 years in the making and It is finally coming... -Beavt8r

No kidding! I think it''s a good game. It seems to have an interesting blend of cel-shading and normal shading...very interesting.

It is coming...8 years in the making and It is finally coming...

-Beavt8r

hmm...I think it would be good to go cel shaded if your game has a less serious tone than most shooters I''ve seen. From the screenshots of XIII it looks like you''re running around shooting people in a way very similar to Half-Life or something. I don''t really think it adds anything to the game if you change the look without really altering the gameplay or tone of the setting.

For something like No One Lives Forever I think cel-shading would work well, since that game seems to take itself less seriously...so I guess I don''t know whether to say it''s good or bad without knowing more about the game idea.

hmm...it did spark an interesting idea. Imagine a game where there are two distinct realities, and throughout the game you would jump between them. Kinda like Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Zelda: A Link to the Past, maybe(never played Link to the Past). And then the two worlds would use different rendering styles. Or maybe not even different worlds, but just different ways of viewing it. Maybe I should design a game around this idea...

XIII is based on a comic book. The reason they went with Cel-shaded graphics is to get a look similar to the comic. The Dredd vs. Death game will be similar. It''s not exactly cel-shaded, but it uses some comic book style NPR they call a "graphic novel shading."

I know there is a port of Quake to a Non-photorealistic verson,
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/whatIsIt.html

Sometimes Cell Shading is better known as Non-photorealsitic shading...

Well, the game''s plot has to do with toys...and after reading the "How would YOU like a FPS?" post, I started thinking about doing both cel-shading and normal shading, whether it be a game option, or cheat. The more I thought about it, two play modes seemed to be better...because cel-shading I think would fit the game but I think it would be cool to have both modes. But, since I am the one designing it, thought that I might just be a little bias. So I''ve been doing some research on cel-shading, trying to make my decision, and thought I should get some opinions from you guys (and gals.) If anybody knows of some other resources on cel-shading, please let me know! I''m leaning more towards cel-shading as I go...

-Beavt8r

Think so? Cool! If worse comes to worse, if it sucks, I can always go back and change the render code and make it normal, huh?

-Beavt8r

This might be a little offtopic, but whenever I think of cell-shading, I think of deformable environments. I think it''d be cool to have a FPS with an engine that could support having real bullet holes, chunks of grass ripped up by grenades, and other similar stuff. The upcoming Worms 3D game will have deformable environments, just like the earlier 2D games, and I think it will work out extremely well. Would cell-shaded graphics make it easier to pull this off? I would think so, since it allows the engine to not worry about textures so much.

~Mark~

+<--->+
With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
But there''s nothing in it
And you''ll ask yourself

Where is my mind
+<--->+

Cool...also I''ve been looking at the current cel-shaded games and realized that only the characters are cel-shaded, and not the background. Just wondering what everybody thought. I''m getting ready to code the shaders and was curious about some of the ideas and/or comments you had. Thanks!

-Beavt8r

Personally, I''d prefer the background to look like traditional
background art.

I mean, when you''re watching anime, the backgrounds are typically
hand-painted or at least LOOK hand-painted.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Guest Anonymous Poster
Cel shading would be good in an FPS based on an anime or other cartoon license...but thats pretty obvious i guess

Max Payne meets Tiny Toons... Action packed, suspence, gore, etc... but with the humor of Tiny Toons -- falling off cliffs, getting squished, etc.

http://www.itstudents.ch/users/dave/free/files/hatch.jpg

i prefer that shading.. the cartoony often looks too sharp and ugly imho.. (XIII looks okay so far..)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

A "cartoony" FPS - or any game, for that matter - would make physics modelling difficult. I''m making a 2d platformer, and getting the central character (a fuzzball) to squash and stretch in a cartoon way is difficult enough...

Cel shading? Wickid! I have been toying with the possibilities of cel shading for a while. I don''t think it work that well with FPS (although it can be done too) but I think a StreetFighter meets Tekken (ie 3d cel shaded beat-em-up) could be cool. Also, cel shading a 3d RTS might be an idea if you go with lighter theme than most RTSs and do something fun. Another avenue is Adventure games like the old Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max style games but using 3d cel shaded graphics to allow for much greater freedom of movement and more interesting interaction. I just love the idea of toon rendering 3d because it is something that hasn''t really been done before in games (now it has but there still isn''t much in this style).

I think they should do a gta game with cell shading because if you notice all the art work Loading screens, packaging etc etc is in that style. Also I think a fighting game would be very cool also.

As for a FPS if fits with the story I would go for it but if it''s just being used for wow effect then maybe not.

Other games that could work would be a space game think Titan AE adventure game.

Cel-shading fits with the story...it''s got a light-hearted tone to it (sort of) so cel-shading goes along with it. I have a "VERY BETA" web site up at www.angelfire.com/games5/mallfighter. Don''t criticize too much...my nephew did most of the work. :-P I think cel-shading will help with modeling, too, because they have to be simpler to have the effect look good, so it works out good for me. I''m going to have a cartoony feel to it, but keep the FPS death theme going...just have them die weird and stuff. I''m hoping it will be good...but if not, it''s been fun working on it...most of the time

-Beavt8r