Cel-shaded FPS?

Started by
33 comments, last by Beavt8r 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, all! I was checking out some cel-shading and stuff and was wondering what everybody''s thoughts on a cel-shaded FPS were. Like the game XIII on the XBOX. I like cel-shading and the concept, and am considering making my FPS cel-shaded. It would go with the game''s plot, but I don''t know what everybody thinks about it. I was checking out XIII to see what a cel-shaded FPS would look like. Just tell me what you think about it. I would really appreciate any feedback! P.S. A good site is http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/image.php?Screen_ID=5334 It is coming...8 years in the making and It is finally coming... -Beavt8r
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
Advertisement
If I had an XBOX, I know I''d pick that game up...

--SuperRoy

[ www.Google.com ][ FlipCode IOTD ]
[ Email Me ][ WhitespaceUnlimited ]
Sup guys?
No kidding! I think it''s a good game. It seems to have an interesting blend of cel-shading and normal shading...very interesting.

It is coming...8 years in the making and It is finally coming...

-Beavt8r
if it will make your game better instead of cheesey then go for it...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
hmm...I think it would be good to go cel shaded if your game has a less serious tone than most shooters I''ve seen. From the screenshots of XIII it looks like you''re running around shooting people in a way very similar to Half-Life or something. I don''t really think it adds anything to the game if you change the look without really altering the gameplay or tone of the setting.

For something like No One Lives Forever I think cel-shading would work well, since that game seems to take itself less seriously...so I guess I don''t know whether to say it''s good or bad without knowing more about the game idea.

hmm...it did spark an interesting idea. Imagine a game where there are two distinct realities, and throughout the game you would jump between them. Kinda like Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Zelda: A Link to the Past, maybe(never played Link to the Past). And then the two worlds would use different rendering styles. Or maybe not even different worlds, but just different ways of viewing it. Maybe I should design a game around this idea...
XIII is based on a comic book. The reason they went with Cel-shaded graphics is to get a look similar to the comic. The Dredd vs. Death game will be similar. It''s not exactly cel-shaded, but it uses some comic book style NPR they call a "graphic novel shading."
I know there is a port of Quake to a Non-photorealistic verson,
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/whatIsIt.html

Sometimes Cell Shading is better known as Non-photorealsitic shading...

~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Well, the game''s plot has to do with toys...and after reading the "How would YOU like a FPS?" post, I started thinking about doing both cel-shading and normal shading, whether it be a game option, or cheat. The more I thought about it, two play modes seemed to be better...because cel-shading I think would fit the game but I think it would be cool to have both modes. But, since I am the one designing it, thought that I might just be a little bias. So I''ve been doing some research on cel-shading, trying to make my decision, and thought I should get some opinions from you guys (and gals.) If anybody knows of some other resources on cel-shading, please let me know! I''m leaning more towards cel-shading as I go...

-Beavt8r
Toys?
COOL!
Go with the cel shading
Think so? Cool! If worse comes to worse, if it sucks, I can always go back and change the render code and make it normal, huh?

-Beavt8r

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement