Cel-shaded FPS?

Started by
33 comments, last by Beavt8r 21 years, 2 months ago
This might be a little offtopic, but whenever I think of cell-shading, I think of deformable environments. I think it''d be cool to have a FPS with an engine that could support having real bullet holes, chunks of grass ripped up by grenades, and other similar stuff. The upcoming Worms 3D game will have deformable environments, just like the earlier 2D games, and I think it will work out extremely well. Would cell-shaded graphics make it easier to pull this off? I would think so, since it allows the engine to not worry about textures so much.

~Mark~

+<--->+
With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
But there''s nothing in it
And you''ll ask yourself

Where is my mind
+<--->+
+<--->+With your feet in the air and your head on the groundTry this trick and spin it, yeahYour head will collapseBut there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourselfWhere is my mind+<--->+
Advertisement
Cool...also I''ve been looking at the current cel-shaded games and realized that only the characters are cel-shaded, and not the background. Just wondering what everybody thought. I''m getting ready to code the shaders and was curious about some of the ideas and/or comments you had. Thanks!

It is coming...8 years in the making and It is finally coming...

-Beavt8r
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
I''d love to see a 3d 3rd person cell-shaded Commander Keen game.
Personally, I''d prefer the background to look like traditional
background art.

I mean, when you''re watching anime, the backgrounds are typically
hand-painted or at least LOOK hand-painted.

-Hyatus
"da da da"
FYI, XIII is being released on X-Box AND PC.

So many acronyms...

--------------------
Ever find this beachboys record at a pawn shop for 2 dollars, then you buy it, only to remember you don''t like the beachboys?
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Cel shading would be good in an FPS based on an anime or other cartoon license...but thats pretty obvious i guess
Max Payne meets Tiny Toons... Action packed, suspence, gore, etc... but with the humor of Tiny Toons -- falling off cliffs, getting squished, etc.
XIII is coming out on XBOX, PS2, GameCube, and PC for your information.

--SuperRoy

[ www.Google.com ][ FlipCode IOTD ]
[ Email Me ][ WhitespaceUnlimited ]
Sup guys?
http://www.itstudents.ch/users/dave/free/files/hatch.jpg

i prefer that shading.. the cartoony often looks too sharp and ugly imho.. (XIII looks okay so far..)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

I like Cel-Shading but I can''t see me playing a cel-shaded FPS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement