We programmers. Are we alone in this world?

Started by
46 comments, last by sonicteam 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey, thanks everyone!!!
I wish I could have posted while everyone was in the mist of posting(39 post!).

Well, anywho.

Guys and gals, I''m really thankfull for all the kind and uplifing words you gave ne really, im for real when I say this.

Its not all the time you find really cool people on the these fourms. Thanks for the advice and I''m glad to know that there are really cool people in this profession!
Thanks GDnet posters!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

I really should just let this go since so many people have already posted but i just couldnt help but reply,..here goes.

Someone that posted was making popularity out to be a bad thing,..or at least to have bad consequences. I dont see it that way,..i''m the kind of person that wants to succeed at evrything.
I want to be able to code damn well,.i want to be popular, i want to have good grades,..be ncie charming and loved.Funny, kind, act, sing,...skate.In other words i want to be successful at everything.I dont think its bad to be popular or to want to be.And even though there are negatives attached to it,..thats the same with evrything else. You dont have to be popular to hate yourself or be drepressed.
Last year i was damn unpopular and depressed at the same time. What you have to do is recognize that not everyone out there is a real friend.Be friends with them but you dont have to let your happiness depend on them,..
you have to have a social life,..but you must also have a side that you keep inside,..when you''re at home coding or watching tv.
This way,..even when things arent going good for your public image,..you have a cool private life to return to.And even when things ARE going smoothly,..you wont be depressed cuz you have stuff you do by yourself.
Dont just be popular,..be loved,..care for ppl, help them out,..be sensitive.Remember,..What goes around comes around.
Ppl will piss you off.Spend your time on something better like writing pseudocode rather than fretting over them.
Take extra curricular activities, ppl have told you to skate, board or whatever.They are right.
Last but not the least,..try as much as you can to not let your happiness depend on things you cant control,..for example: whether ppl like you.

Thats my 50 cents.Sorry to rant
Bye

Codejedi2k@yahoo.com Redaccess2002@yahoo.com
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
I''m not in high school anymore, but I''ll tell you my high school life.

Mostly about the same. Once I got to high school, I suddenly became the laziest person. Never study, never listen. I was not mr.popular. What I did was just coding...make games. Yeah, boring life. I realized this. But my fellow programmers are nice, we had our own "community." Lol..that was fun..playing Starcraft in a computer lab all day long. Next day we were discussing about 3DS Max. Next day we were discussing about SC again. Anyway, I had a fun life in high school with my fellow programmers/computer guys. The only thing I miss: I was the only programmer interested in games.

My senior life was even more fun. In addition to my fellow programmers, my class was filled with people who "don''t care who you are." Either mr.popular, a geek, a nasty bitch, a gay, or whoever you are, we laughed and had fun together. If there was a gay, he''d be asked "Hey, do you love me?", "Cmon, hug me!!" with a laugh (it was a joke of course, not an insult). But it happened so often that they finally hugged each other, but no they don''t get married, it was just for fun. Anyway, they respect you the way you are, that''s what I like. Damn, I miss those guys.

I''m not that "geek." I have other talents as well, art, sport (I was the best gymnastic in my class, and not that bad in soccer). That''s what I believe, people are not born with ONE talent. I believe all of us has more than ONE. Find them, and get more life. Or...if you can''t find any, and think that you are "alone," go learn something else, not just programming.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Allright, I read all (!) in this topic, and i find it like a good post. cos all you ppl out there got some feelings out of you, wether it''s bad or good, but you shared em, well. anyway, have a nice day, and post more posts like this if you ever feel bad or like to make other ppl feel better It was a good post! yes! yes! yes!. sorry i''m weird! ahahhahah well. YOU ACCEPT ME? no? well f*** yuo. :o I know you do! i know it.. i do... erhm, *struggle struggle* sorry, my bad. my good, i just started programming btw, i''ve ben interested in it since i was like 9 years, but there were no classes for me and i wasnt very good at looking up things, you know, can''t expect a 9 yr old to make the world a better place can you? well, now i will as 17 year old swedish person with a very good. umm what? nothing, i dropped out of school one and a half year ago. mainly because it wasn''t very serious. i mean, i''ve done the elementary school and bla bla. well. anyway i went to school for 9 years, and i know what i need to know, THAT YOU DON''T NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL FOR INFORMATION! YOU JUST NEED TO BE INTERESTED! sorry if i made you drop out of school, but it''s the best for you. you can learn the things you want to learn much faster if you''re not in school and skip learning all the stuff you dont need. "Blablablabla, you must go to school, you need a wide variety of knowledge" UP YOUR @$$!! ok, i''m sorry again, dont read this if you''re considering dropping out of school, cause it will make you do it, i know school is good for most ppl, but not for me, i just didn''t fit in the way of learning things there, i learn by myself, sure i dont get grades, but i can always get grades later, just do a few tests.. you americans got the GED(??) test, that''s good, i wish we had something like that in sweden. hmm bye. thanks for your time reading this(if you actually did read this and didn''t just jump to the end and see what i wrote there like a summary or anything, but why would anyone read from the bottom and up??)

I guess i dont wanna work for the system. that''s it. well, i need money and stuff.. It''s a dilemma, we need revolution, every man for himself!!!!!!
No issue, dude...

I''m a senior in university. I have a girlfriend, a job, a few friends (I don''t have many as I''m entirely too politically opinionated to have many people like me - plus I''m way too loud even when I''m NOT drunk ), I play sports at least twice a week, and I''m working on 2 degrees (cs and math) at which I pull straight A''s and A-''s.... and uh the occasional B unfortunately (by this I mean once every few quarters)

What I''m saying: Don''t worry, life will fall together later. Life sucks at that age anyway.

Oh yeah, don''t use Bill. G. as an example, some of us have negative feelings toward him!!

Plus - as Access said, popularity is NOT a bad thing. It'' a good thing. Social interaction is a very positive thing and it''s one of the things that keeps me from being very very depressed sometimes. I believe that you have to work at it though. Find a "crew"... you know, friends with similar clothing style, music style, humor, etc. Throw parties. Play games together. Invite them to play sports.

Looking back on my life until college though, it wasn''t too fun. I had some pretty weird shit going on in my life (non-school related) though, so I suppose that contributed.

Good luck.
Well, I''m in college now, but my highschool life was rather... well, silent I guess.

I had friends. Though I was often thinking about programming and writing up little QBasic programs instead of going to parties and the likes.

Now, in college, I''m with people who share a common interest. Sadly, they''re all guys. Guess I''ll have to wait a little more if i want to meet a cute girl that likes programming But at least I''m with people who don''t think I''m talking about a bookstore when I mention libraries and whom can actually tell apart two brands of coffee. Black columbian coffee forever

We programmers are a strange breed. I''m proud to be what I am though, and wouldn''t change for anything in the world.
I''m in highschool -- sophmore year... my grades are pretty good by my standards (3.5 GPA for freshman year), but my mom still flips every time a report card comes home because I never do any homework or anything. Im still happy though -- becoming active in school clubs has made highschool so much more enjoyable... its great not being popular, and still having friends, no one expects that much of you, so you can mostly be yourself. My friends are in fact a really random group of people (Im really the only programming inclined one), we have 2 acting people, 2 computer people, a football player, and a few other people whom I still havent figured out what they do... in my opinion, being popular is pointless and a waste of time and effort which could be better spent elsewhere, getting friends and joining clubs is not)

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
I''m in highschool -- sophmore year... my grades are pretty good by my standards (3.5 GPA for freshman year), but my mom still flips every time a report card comes home because I never do any homework or anything. Im still happy though -- becoming active in school clubs has made highschool so much more enjoyable... its great not being popular, and still having friends, no one expects that much of you, so you can mostly be yourself. My friends are in fact a really random group of people (Im really the only programming inclined one), we have 2 acting people, 2 computer people, a football player, and a few other people whom I still havent figured out what they do... in my opinion, being popular is pointless and a waste of time and effort which could be better spent elsewhere, getting friends and joining clubs is not)

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement