We programmers. Are we alone in this world?

Started by
46 comments, last by sonicteam 21 years, 6 months ago
Ok, im feeling kind of depressed and I decided to come to the fourms... Anywho, I was wondering who still attemds High school. if so, are you a REAL popular person? Are you active in your school? ...man, Im none of these things......As soon as I decided to tale up programming, Everyone thinks i''m some sort of geek. It really sucks yuo know, this is my senior year in high school and im no way invloved in my senior class... I wont even be graduating with my class... gah!!!! What will I do!!!! Sometimes I feel like complety isolating myself from society and moving to canada, build a house and live in it'' s basement and program for the rest of my life. I dont know what I should do... hmm... This post might come of as soft, but it''s true. Ok, lets think of bill gates, I wonder how he did in school. Was he the most popular kid around or just some geek that dreamed about building a smaller transistor the size of a nickle? oh well, you know GDnet people, you dont even have to post here... I guess I just needed to get some stuff of my chest, I had a really bad day. I went to my computer science class after school and some JERKOFF would not let me in, (He calls himself a PROGRAMER) Are programers really this mean to other programers? oh well, just some thoughts, cya GDnet and have a nice weekend!!! (Dont stay on your computer all weekend trying to code up your new game
Advertisement
Bill Gates did extremely well in school and went to Harvard, which he dropped out of to start Microsoft. I do very well (mostly A''s, a few A-''s) in school but I am vastly detached from the majority of my classmates, in that I rarely attend football games dances, etc. I am athletic, though. I am one of the best tennis player in my state and I avidly work out to maintain my superb physical condition.
I know that highschool seams the only thing that matters when you are in highschool but once highschool is over and real life begins, all those popular people who are so cool now will envy you.

The bottom line is the bottom line. If you make more $$ than them they will be shining your shoes while you write the next great piece of software.

Keep your head up mate. Your have a bright future as long as you dont get distracted by the pitfalls of trying to be something you are not.

A friend in arms,
Hamlet

"... thats the rub...
"... thats the rub...
I''m in high school. I''m also considered delinquant and stupid to the standards set by the school...

Background? Never took algebra I, so freshman year I was stuck in Geometry... The trig part isn''t hard, it''s the proofs I didn''t do well with. Sure its easy, but stupid questions deserve stupid answers. I share Einstein''s thoughts with school, who also failed math (I didn''t though), "...and I do believe that the repetitious block schedule of school is damaging for a young brain." Let''s see, 10th grade they shoved me in Alg II, and now as a junior I''m in College Algebra. The only reason I don''t take precalc is because it will drain my time away from coding.

You wouldn''t belive me if I told you I have a strong understanding of mathematics, but that''s because you were probably looking at my math grades through high school. They weren''t terrible, but I did earn a D (I wont say that I recieved a D, because I did earn the D) at one point.

Why am I saying this? Well some voice in my head told me to. I just wanted to point out that we (the programming community) are humans, too.

The one thing that I really hate about programming is that it seems like the nicest people who use computers are online, and the meanest, most ignorant, dumbfounded people who use computers are irl.

Anyway, you have my 3 cents.
~ Jesse

The gl2D Project | Free programming books
----------[Development Journal]
Definetly agree with Hamlet. The people who are regard as cool in highschool are generally the boozers and pot-heads. While that might get you somewhere socially in highschool, there is simply no place in the world of success for those types. You are doing the hard thing, and it should pay off eventually.

Also, when you get to college, all that stuff will be a problem. In college, expressing yourself in your own unique way is encouraged, while in highschool it is suppressed. Just hang in there.
*will not be a problem
I''m a senior in high school. I guess I''m popular within the computer-nerd clique. We had a 5 day weekend this week and I had a 12-person LAN party!! Outside of the geek community, a lot of people know me but I don''t spend much time with them outside of school. I always try to get to know whoever''s sitting next to me in a class, and usually get along with them.
I don''t attend school football games or any other school events. Just be yourself and if people don''t want to hang out with you then they can f*ck off, because others will.
In 9th and 10th grade I didn''t care much about my grades and got mostly B''s with a few A''s and C''s, using minimal effort. I started to care in 11th grade and now I have a 3.5 GPA.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
I graduated last spring, but here goes anyway:

Popularity isn''t a good thing to judge yourself by. I didn''t consider myself very popular, but the people that did know me seemed to like me. That said, even if I wasn''t popular, just about everybody in the school knew me knew me because I would do things.

If you feel bad about having not done anything in high school... DO SOMETHING, if there''s still time. You said you were graduating early... If there''s time, join a sport, don''t worry about how good you think you''ll be. Start playing the drums or guitar or something. It''s easier than you think, you just have to work hard at it.

Try acting. Or helping with the stage. Or lighting. Or Sound. There are places that will let you help, even if you have never done that sort of thing before. You probably won''t get paid for it though

The only reason people say high school was the best time of their lives was because they were young and they are too lazy to make their whole life the best time of their lives. It''s never too late to make changes in your life for the better. Most important, remember that you can program and have a life.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Only people in high school take high school seriously. It''s more important to like what you do than to be doing what everyone else does.

As for the ass not letting you into the classroom, as I see it you have three options. One is to report him to the faculty. Second would be going to your parent or guardian. Third would be to show him that he really CAN fit into a mid-tower case.

I''ll leave it to you to decide which suggestion to follow...although I''d personally skip the time and effort of the first two. Much more efficient to pop him in the nose when he ain''t lookin''. Fair play is for courts and third graders.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
I am active in hs - Running and Officers. Also I am well known, and although some of my "friends" are in the popular crowd, I prefer not to be. Let me say something about popularity. It may seem like being popular is being in the crowd but that''s not true. Being popular is being known - not being in the crowd. If people know you for a game programmer, that makes you known and therefore you''re popular whether you can recognise it or not. Here''s what sucks about being popular (I wuz at 1 time but left cuz it wasn''t fun). Don''t think if you''re not that you''re missing out because you''re DEFINITLY NOT. Here''s what sucks:

1.) Friends don''t last. Populars tend to have a few close friends, but otherwise many just come-and-go friends. This may seem like they are "popular" because they know all these people but it can actually make you depressed to have friends that don''t stay for long and only last until they realize something about you they don''t like - which is every1.

2.) It''s all an act. On the outside, they seem confident and always happy. This DOESN''T continue afterwards. At home, I remember countless times how I was depressed that friends kept leaving and although from other''s view I was, that''s not how I felt. Everything seemed screwed up.

4.) Their morals and values arn''t correct. Sure, you may at first think because of this they get to have all the fun of drinking, sex, etc but there''s a definite downside to it. Not only do some of them get pregnant n such but other things collide. For example, one person (who is very popular)took this girl who wuz also popular to the homecoming dance. After the first few dances, and after he had spent all this time taking her to dinner and stuff, she left him there to hang out with upperclassman and he ended sitting in the corner along the whole time. She had a great time grinding with seniors but the unfortinate date was left alone. This was just one example but there were at least 10 other populars standing around who were left all alone there - some even crying.

5.) You can have more fun with friends who arn''t popular. When you''re with popular friends, then you have to put on an act. Unless you''re special, most people put on an act to keep their social status. When you''re with your true friends, you can be yourself. You don''t have to think everytime you go to speak and many times you can act like a complete idiot and nobody will care. True friends are the ones you can be yourself around and will have the most fun with.

6.) It''s VERY VERY easy to do things you normally wouldn''t do. Although the obvious may be drugs, sex, and other risky behaviors, this also includes for girls becomming anorexic. It''s amazing how many people are and you have no idea until the next year when their a fricken stick and it''s sooo obvious and ugly. Like all of the risky stuff, what you start to become cool you finish becomming uncool.

7.) Depression happens all the time. Believe it or not, I''d say 70% of the people in the popular crowd have thought about commiting suicide at least once. I admit I have but true friends are the ones to get you through it. Others will almost literaly let you go and make you feel even worse.

That''s all I can think of rite now. Here''s another story that mite cheer you up. A friend of mine, Rosie, left our school to temporarily move to another school for the next few years in 6th grade. She wasn''t extremly popualar (average) and her friends were true ones. When she got to her new school, she became extremly popular - like the one everybody wants. She did almost everything you can think of. The thing was, nobody would have expected it because she was always so smart and obviously that wasn''t. She seriously tried to commit suicide during those years 3 times (and it was close - one time 20 painkiller and emergency close)! Her friends there didn''t care and her friends back in my school were the only ones to get her through it - also her parents and guidence. When she came back, she had so much to tell however she didn''t, under her decision, become popular here because she knew what had happen at her old school. If you can just take your regular goody-too-shoe in your school and imagine her being like that, that was how it was. So far she seems not be anything like her last-year''s school self. But now her friends, including me, are true to her and would never be like the ones there.

Well I hafta go. Wish i could help u out more. Good luck.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement