Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photoshop6 Compositing Alpha images.

This topic is 5533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a TGA file with some non-antialised sprites, and anoter gray scale TGA with the alpha information. How do I apply the alpha info to the sprites image with Photoshop 6? [edited by - xaxa on October 18, 2002 6:16:58 PM]

I found a method, I load the alpha-channel pic and copy it into clipboard. Then I go to destination pic and add a layer mask, then I go to channels tab and on the mask layer I paste the alpha-channel, then go to layers tab and in the masked layer I do right button->Apply layer mask... I have to do this step like 10 times to get the desired result. I guess there is a better method. Could anybody help?

Well, you can:

- Select the magic wand, click in some empty area of your pic

- Right click, choose "select inverse". Now all your bitmaps should be selected.

- Right click again, choose "save selection". Save it as a new channel. The alpha channel now should contain the non-transparent parts of your bitmaps.

2DNow - Specializing in yesterday''s technology today!

quote:
Original post by llyod
The alpha channel now should contain the non-transparent parts of your bitmaps.

I have 2 pics:

- alphachannel.tga: 8bit grayscale image containing the alpha info. It has no empty area. It's a solid background that fades from black for empty to white (sprite area).

- sprite.tga: 32bit RGB image containing a non-antialised sprite.

I want to apply the alpha described by fades from pic1 to the sprite in pic2. This way the sprite will look antialiased over any background I want.

[edited by - xaxa on October 20, 2002 12:45:27 PM]