• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomad

Quake 3 bsp format

This topic is 6609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have ben searching now forever, and have come up empty handed. Can someone, anyone please tell me where i can find a discription of the new Quake 3 .bsp file format, the newest one i can find is a discription of the Quake 2 .bsp format, but that is dated and i want to read Quake 3 levels in my engine. I know i can just read .map files, but i don;t want to do that because .bsp is faster and i want speed, plus i already have a .map reader and .bsp is what i am interested in. Thanx in advance, Nomad

Advertisement
Even if you find the format (slighty more possible than kieren_j''s compression) it would be very hard to render the curves and there are curves almost everywhere in q3a.

Oh yeah, how did you get your program to read .map files? I''ve been trying that ever since I joined gamedev. That is really the whole reason I''m here.

I don''t know if there is an actual document describing the format, but I have seen several 3D engines that are capable of loading Q3A maps. Some of these also come with source code. Unfortunately I can''t remember their names but you try finding them on 3D Engine list.

WitchLord

How could I forget about that place. Also search through Hotbot or something and look for SQUAKE. I think it stands for slow quake. They use Q3A bsp files, but I cannot remember if it was the old format or not.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!