Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Direct Play

This topic is 5533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am wanting to send multiple messages to the same client from the server. They are NEW_PLAYER messages. The NEW_PLAYER message works fine and the new player is created on the client. The problem arises when I try to send more than one message to the client. Only the first message ever seems to arrive. The server code looks like this (simplified):

// Send NEW_PLAYER_MESSAGE to requesting client for each connected player

int players=0;
for(int playerCount=maxNumberOfPlayers;playerCount>=0;playerCount--) {
	if (playerList[playerCount].isConnected() && playerList[playerCount].GetDPNID()!=requestConnectedPlayersMessage->requestingPlayerID) {
	SendNewPlayerMessage(requestConnectedPlayersMessage->requestingPlayerID, playerList[playerCount].GetDPNID(), &playerList[playerCount]);
	}
}

void SendNewPlayerMessage(DPNID dpnidDestination, DPNID newPlayerDPNID, CCharacter* newPlayerData) {

// Cast data into appropriate structure (NOT INCLUDED HERE)

// Send message

g_pDPServer->SendTo(dpnidDestination,&dpbd,1,0,NULL,&hAsync, DPNSEND_NOLOOPBACK | DPNSEND_COMPLETEONPROCESS | DPNSEND_GUARANTEED);
}

I have some logging inside the SendNewPlayerMessage() function and it does send the message the appropriate number of times. Here is the client code that should receive all the messages:

case MSG_NEW_PLAYER: {
	Debugger.appendLog("NEW_PLAYER MESSAGE");

// Cast the message into the appropriate game message structure (not included)

// Create the new player locally (not included)

}

I haven''t included some of the code for simplicities sake, I know it works because it works if only one message is sent. The first player is received correctly and the new player is created, any other NEW_PLAYER messages are not received (it doesn''t even write the ("NEW_PLAYER MESSAGE") entry into the logfile. Is this because the client was busy processing the previous NEW_PLAYER message and so it missed any subsequent ones (I would have thought it would buffer/queue incoming messages). Or am I totally wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.