Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aphydx

3DS Max skeletal anim. to skinned mesh .x?

I have reached a hurdle of sorts lately, namely not being able to export my animated 3d characters from 3DS Max 4.2 to Directx's .x format. Using the plugin from the MS DX SDK extras, I was able to make a static mesh, but all my attempts at making a mesh w/ vertex weights & such have been unsuccessful. The files do include this: template SkinWeights { <6f0d123b-bad2-4167-a0d0-80224f25fabb> STRING transformNodeName; DWORD nWeights; array DWORD vertexIndices[nWeights]; array FLOAT weights[nWeights]; Matrix4x4 matrixOffset; } .. so I know skin weights are possible in some way .. ? .. But when I go to export, the "Skinning Summary" always reads 0 max bones per vertex, etc, no matter how many bones I have assigned to my mesh. I have also tried collapsing my modifier list .. is it possible I need a Physique item? What do I do? I read somewhere that the "tiny.x" in the DX SDK examples was created using 3DS Max .. that is exactly the type of .x that I want to export .. [edited by - aphydx on October 18, 2002 12:02:45 AM]