Can I get away with skipping the Windows Programming and just move on to DirectX?

Started by
5 comments, last by Furion 21 years, 6 months ago
Windows programming looks too boring for the moment. Could I skip it, make DOS games for the time being, and come back later?
Advertisement
just make sure you know how to create a window, and understand the messagehandler.
Sure. Just copy and paste the boilerplate Win32 code from example code and forget about it. That''s what most people do anyway. (Yes, even the pros. There''s no point rewriting code that''s going to be identical from game to game.)

Seriously, the only Win32 knowledge you need at this stage is the basics: the basic architecture, the message loop & event-driven programming, window handles, WndProc() and WinMain(), etc.

You can get all this from, say, "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" (IDG; Andre LaMothe), or from the sample code provided with the DirectX SDK.

HTH

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
So theres no point buying a big bulky book on Win32 Programming? If not, why would someone buy it in the first place?

quote:Original post by Furion
So theres no point buying a big bulky book on Win32 Programming? If not, why would someone buy it in the first place?

... Because they want to learn about Win32 programming? There''s more to programming than making games.
For simple games, you could get away with little Windows programming,. Just get some DirectDraw setup code and get started. You''ll learn about the Windows API as you go.
Coming back later won''t help you, because it''s not likely Windows will get easier. So take your big black boots en get into it (they are burrying DOS anyway).
yeah you can definently skip over the windows programming, that''s what I did. I would like to go back and learn some of that stuff though, just to add a litle polish you know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement