• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wiseachoo

Jim, misprint in your book?

This topic is 5699 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I happened to notice a conflict with pg.183 versus pg.193 with regard to the View Transformation. In the first section, you state the appropriate order is "R = T * X * Y * Z" but then in the later section where you give an example, you use this order: R = T * Z * Y * X Could you clarify which is the ''correct'' order for multiplying them, I''d appreciate it, thanks. ''Chris

Advertisement
HunterTKilla: while that rule works for normal math...for Linear algebra it does not. The order in which you multiply matrices produces different results. Make up 2 separate 2x2 matrices and multiply them in both orders, you will see that they produce different resulting matrices. Jim where are you?

[edited by - wiseachoo on October 19, 2002 2:04:39 PM]

its basically like this.
T* x*y*z

look at x*y*z as a seperate piece cause they are all teh same, they are just (rotation values)?, so the order of x,y,z is really up to u. if u want to rotate 10 units x then 10 units z, ur order would be x*z but if you wanted 10 z then 10 x ur order would be z*x

so you would use t,xz and t,zx depending on what you needed to do

"I know sometimes I ask stupid questions...but i mean well "
[Triple Buffer-My home]|[SCRIPTaGAME]|[My Old Site]

[edit] realized that x,y,z is for rotation ... not coordiantes

[edited by - alfmga on October 19, 2002 5:50:01 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!