• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vsavatar

New APIs...

This topic is 6692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to get a team together to take on the monumental task of creating a set of graphics and sound APIs that would be OS independent. Possibly develop the low-level stuff at an OS dependent level, but the high level functions that the programmers would use would still be OS independent. I''m saying this because I''d like to see Linux, BeOS, and other future OSes become viable gaming platforms.

Advertisement
There''s no need to do what you say cause those API already exists !
See OpenGL and OpenAL they''re platform independent API.

Have a look @ OpenML (Open Media Library.) which is the platform independent API (using OpenGL) equivalent to DirectX.
(DirectX is of course platform dependent and windows only !)

I''m supporting BeOS, but because of the market windows represents, I''m supporting Windows too.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

quote:
Original post by Ingenu

There''s no need to do what you say cause those API already exists !
See OpenGL and OpenAL they''re platform independent API.

Have a look @ OpenML (Open Media Library.) which is the platform independent API (using OpenGL) equivalent to DirectX.
(DirectX is of course platform dependent and windows only !)

Do you have any idea where I can get the OpenML library from? The only experience I''ve had thus far is with DirectX.

I''m supporting BeOS, but because of the market windows represents, I''m supporting Windows too.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

quote:
Original post by vsavatar

Do you have any idea where I can get the OpenML library from? The only experience I''ve had thus far is with DirectX.

It''s not available yet, and won''t be until sometime next year. It was only just recently announced. You can get more information about it from http://www.khronos.org/

Guest Anonymous Poster
There''s also the "Simple Direct Media Layer"--SDL--which handles sound, blitting, loading images, CD-ROM access, and user input. It''s cross-platform for Windows, Linux, and the Macintosh. A simple web search will turn it up.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!