Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

podbuster

Which Assebly program do YOU use?

This post is pretty much self-explanitory. I was curious as to what Assembly program YOU use. The ones I have found were either confusing as all hell or they didn''t work. MASM 32 was upon the "confusing as all hell" catagory because once I downloaded it, I had no clue how to work the damn thing. It wouldn''t compile, run etc. PodBuster

MASM is not confusing. You need to read a tutorial on how to use it and also, I suspect, how to program assembly. Keep in mind that these compilers are not IDEs, they''re just command-line compilers.

~CGameProgrammer( );

quote:
Original post by podbuster
This post is pretty much self-explanitory. I was curious as to what Assembly program YOU use. The ones I have found were either confusing as all hell or they didn''t work. MASM 32 was upon the "confusing as all hell" catagory because once I downloaded it, I had no clue how to work the damn thing. It wouldn''t compile, run etc.

PodBuster

I used TASM (since it came with my compiler), but now I use MASM.

Yep - i''m afraid i use MASM too and the others are right in saying that once you get it set up, it''s easy to use.

However, i used to use NASM and I thought that was pretty good too....

To muddy the waters further, I use NASM. It''s free, open source, and rockin''.

I find the syntax pretty and I like the lack of strange inexplicable gotchas.

Bear in mind that I''ve only used it for bare-metal coding (ie Real Mode stuff only the BIOS underneath me and PMode stuff with nothing underneath me).

I also find it very easy to link NASM flat binaries with 16-bit C object files generated by Borland Turbo C.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life

I use nasm - minimal red tape, nice syntax/directives, lots of output formats, and a powerful preprocessor I couldn''t live without

I wonder what other assemblers are included if masm is "easiest"...