Engine Feedback

Started by
9 comments, last by Viper173 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey everybody! I was working on my Engine and was wondering whether my demo is working on other machines too. The only thing required is a GeForce Card, and a computer of course (; http://www.geocities.com/viper1732002 ------> Demo.ZIP
Advertisement
all i can say is that you should blur your heightmaps so you don''t get stairstepping in the terrain. its good, 60 fps solid because of vsync
That is a very good demo I got about 60fps on:
1.6gHz
Geforce 3 (64mb)
256 RAM

Some suggestions would be to make the player higher, becasue the gun kind of clipped the terrain, and for some reason when the sun gets past being right above you it dissapears. Good job though, I am in the process of making my own terrain engine and this gave me some ideas :D. Keep up the good work!
thanx for the good advice.
most of the problems you mentioned I allready know.

it''s not the player''s height but the depth testing I should disable. in some first person shooters you see the same effect:
when you are the player you see the gun, when you see another player you watch his gun disappear in the wall or so.

What do you mean by blurring the heightmaps, billybob?
I was thinking about those cylinder kind of things coming out the ground... but since I''m simply using a byte value for every height info it''s kind of deffecult to get smooth transitions...
any idea how to do it?

Looks nice. But nothing is perfect. I managed to fall through the hills several times. I fell and fell and wrapped around and landed on the same terrain again. Another thing: when I use Alt+Tab to switch to another application, the engine just exits.
there''re still many problems....

collision detection sometimes failes. especially on sharps edges.
i''m working on it.
ALT-Tab Problems seem to occure because of direct Input.
but still, it''s still better than in Half-Life. Damn, Half-Life seems to be THE ALT-Tab Problem example...
quote:Original post by Viper173
thanx for the good advice.
most of the problems you mentioned I allready know.

it''s not the player''s height but the depth testing I should disable. in some first person shooters you see the same effect:
when you are the player you see the gun, when you see another player you watch his gun disappear in the wall or so.

What do you mean by blurring the heightmaps, billybob?
I was thinking about those cylinder kind of things coming out the ground... but since I''m simply using a byte value for every height info it''s kind of deffecult to get smooth transitions...
any idea how to do it?

you know how on hills you get this ''stairstepping'' effect? i''m guessing after you load a 256 color bmp that you put it into an array and then load it into a vertex buffer. what you need to do is do soemthing like this:
int total;for(y = 0 to yheight-1){    for(x = 0 to xwidth-1)    {        total = heightMapArray[x][y] + heightMapArray[x+1][y] + heightMapArray[x][y+1] + heightMapArray[x+1][y+1] +         heightMapArray[x][y] = total / 4;    }} 

it will go through and average out the height values to smooth out those stairsteps on hills and stuff. you can also use that to make good random heightmaps, after making a bunch of random things on the heightmap do that blur routine i posted a ton of times and you get smooth rolling hills.
ohhh, that''s what u mean... Averaging

I think I already did that sometime before. But I don''t know whether i actually implemented it.
what I''m doing definetely is not allowing extreme height changes in the first place. but that doesn''t let me create extreme slops on hills... well, I gotta experiment with it again, see how it turns out...

thanx though
Looks absolutely awesome, great job!
I had the same collision problem, falling through the ground, and to me it seems like the player is way too low, the gun dissappears when you look down even the slightest bit.

Other than that, your billboards for grass tufts, might look better as volumetrics, like they used in unreal, I.E. and X or a + of two flat quads. But in general it looks very promising =)
[forgot my specs duh.]
Athlon 1333
256 Mb ram
GF3 Ti200 64-Mb

only 49 fps, seems very low, but it might be my monitor went down to 50 hz though.

It''s nice to be important, but it''s more important to be nice.

[edited by - Bad_Maniac on October 21, 2002 2:45:17 AM]
Don't we all still remember and miss the day we plotted our first pixel?
I liked your engine. It ran at 60 fps on my 32mb geforce2 one question, when you press ''f'' you fall through the terrain and then land on another. how did you do that? just curious, i dont think i''ve ever seen that before. other than that, pressing ''g'' makes you jump super high, hehe thats fun to play with

Derrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement